skip navigation

Florida Gulf Coast University

Website Directory  

Procurement Services

Procurement Services
Related Links

Contact Information
Office of Procurement Services
Modular II
10501 FGCU Blvd South
Fort Myers, FL 33965-6565

Phone: 239-590-1130
Fax: 239-590-1140



Moving Expenses


Purpose and Scope

Back to Top

A system-wide contract for household moves has been established within the State University System. The contract covers interstate moves with some intrastate activity offered on an as needed basis. This contract eliminates the need for competitive sealed bids and the need for obtaining competitive quotations below the bid threshold. However, the need for competitive quotes may be necessary if the company elects to not comply with the intrastate moves, if the employee requests another non-contracted moving company, or there are special requirements or bids.

Policy Statement

Back to Top

The payment of moving expenses, if approved, would be up to the amount the University has agreed to pay and is limited to moving the household contents of a single residence; and the cost of packing, shipping, and storing household goods (personal effects and property), or moving a mobile home (any vehicle used as a home), and incurring reasonable expenses for moving an automobile; and/or moving up to 15,000 pounds of household goods (not boats, etc.) by common carrier or rental truck; and/or purchasing insurance: against damaged goods provided it is limited to the normal liability of the common carrier (approximately $.60/pound) unless a State University System contract mover is used, or when a State University System contract mover is used, based on the SUS negotiated rates, or the approved payment for insurance for only the vehicle (not the contents) when using a rental vehicle or truck. The costs of an SUS contracted mover include full replacement insurance. The employee is responsible for the cost of full replacement insurance if a non-SUS contracted mover is selected.


Back to Top

For the purpose of clarity and uniformity, the following terms shall have the meaning indicated:

  • Moving Expenses: Limited to the cost of packing, transporting, unloading, and storage of household goods or a mobile home, and reasonable expenses incurred for moving an automobile.
  • Household Goods: Personal effects and property of a current or prospective employee.
  • Mobile Home: Any movable vehicle used as a home by a current or prospective employee.
  • Gross Weight: The total weight of the truck and its contents.
  • Tare Weight: The empty weight of the truck.
  • Net Weight: The total weight of the goods being shipped.

*Note included: "Moving Expenses" as defined above does not include professional equipment and/or books necessary for job performance and housed at the University. Expenses associated with the personal movement of the employee or family members also cannot be paid.

Procedures For Moving

Back to Top

For those new employees that are given a move allowance the Office of Human Resources will forward a copy of the offer letter and appointment form (which states the approved allowance amount) to the Office of Procurement Services. A representative from the Office of Procurement Services, will call or email the new employee to explain our moving policy.

There are two options: 1) use one of our contract movers (there is no cost for the estimate even if you do not choose this option) or 2) self-move (requesting reimbursement after-the-fact for allowable expenses).

OPTION 1: Using Contract Mover

If one of our contract movers is chosen, the contract moving company assigned to your move will contact you to arrange a scheduled inspection of your goods. Before the estimator arrives, tour your home; including attic, patio and garage to assure that everything to be moved is visible. During the estimate, show everything that is to be moved so that an accurate estimate of the total weight to be moved may be compiled. Advise of any storage needs that may be needed as well. You can have your vehicle moved but your personal expenses for airfare, bus, etc. are not covered. You should declare a value of the goods that are being moved. This is your decision and will be important if a claim is later filed. The University contract allows up to $75,000 of insurance at no charge on interstate moves only. Intrastate moves may not have this benefit. Beyond that amount, you are responsible. An accurate estimate of all articles to be shipped and all services required is essential, as the carrier will provide the University with an estimate to budget your move. If the estimate is greater than the allocated amount you will be responsible for the additional amount to be collected C.O.D. Date for pickup and delivery will be set directly between you and the moving company, the carrier will notify the University so that a purchase order may be issued. The University does not pay for exclusive use of a moving van or expedited service. The carrier will invoice the University for all authorized moving charges. In instances where there are ceiling amounts, you (the person being moved) will be responsible for payment to the carrier of any overage by cash, cashier's check or credit card upon delivery of your goods. The carrier may not accept personal checks. Following these guidelines will help to ensure a successful move. If you have any questions or problems at any time during this entire process, please call your carrier contact representative.

OPTION 2: Self-Move

If you choose to move yourself, via Ryder, U-Haul, etc., or use a mover other than on our contract, then the University will reimburse you up to the pre-determined allowance amount based upon your receipts. Any excess amount reverts back to the University and any overage must be paid directly by you to the vendor. The University will not have any involvement in your move except to process your reimbursement afterwards.

The following process is recommended for self-moves:

  • Rent the truck and any equipment necessary to complete the household move (i.e., hand truck for heavy items).
  • Purchase boxes, tape, packing materials and obtain receipts.
  • Obtain receipts for all fuel purchased for the moving truck.
  • Obtain receipts for tolls, if applicable.
  • Decline any type of insurance offered unless you are willing to pay for it. The University cannot reimburse for any type of insurance. (You should check your homeowners and auto insurance policies for items in transit overage that may be covered).
  • Complete a Payee Invoice and attach all receipts pertaining to the move of household goods ONLY.

Please note that we will NOT reimburse for the following:

  • insurance (on contents)
  • to move automobiles (including pulling via dolly)
  • hired drivers
  • labor to help with the loading/unloading unless a copy of the cancelled check is provided
  • personal expenses (food, hotel, phone calls, mileage, airfare, taxis, etc.)
  • storage charges
  • unpacking at destination
  • late charges

In addition, you will have to provide a detailed list of receipts and inventory list (e.g., 4 boxes of books, 3 boxes of kitchen items, etc.) and copies of cancelled checks or credit card slips for all allowable expenses. The University will cover the cost of boxes or moving equipment, and the complete truck rental, and the gas (for Ryder/U-Haul type truck that you drive), but not personal expenses (hotel, meals, phone calls, taxis, etc., these are NOT considered moving expenses).

Approval Process

Back to Top

All moves are to have prior approval of the Dean or Director to initiating such action(s). No after the fact approvals, except for reimbursements, will be made under any circumstances. Reimbursements are paid to the employee only for moving of household goods. All expenses paid by the University will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), for informational purposes only. The amount that will be paid for any move is negotiated during the hiring process. Please also note the following: 1. Moves must not exceed a net weight of 15,000 lbs.; 2. Moves in excess of 15,000 lbs., or expenses paid by the University, beyond the approved monetary amount, must have the review and approval of the appropriate Vice President; and, 3. No formal commitment shall be made to expend funds unless advanced approval has been obtained.

Confusing or conflicting language in the Letter of Offer? Review the letter of offer for language that suggests the University will reimburse or pay for moving expenses, change that language to "will provide household moving services". Many of our new employees have experienced the moving process at other institutions and apply that procedure before asking for clarification. Unfortunately, at the prospect of "having to start the process all over", the result has frustrated new employees. All questions regarding this process should be directed to the Office of Procurement Services at 239-590-1130 as soon as possible.

Authorized Charges

Back to Top

The University and your hiring department will authorize a maximum dollar allowance for your move. The move of restricted goods must have separate documentation and approval. The following options may be included in a contract move:

  • Additional pickup at origin or additional delivery at destination.
  • Packing including cartons of furniture, accessories, clothing, appliances, tools, and equipment normally required to maintain a household.
  • Normal removal, preparation for shipment and placing of appliances such as ranges, refrigerators, washers, dryers, food freezers, air conditioners. This does not include parts or labor in special installation of pipes, ductwork, wiring, etc.
  • Placement of furniture, rugs, beds are included, but hanging of pictures, fixtures, mirrors, curtain rods, or racks are not.
  • Storage at point of origin or destination, if approved.
  • Automobiles (must be operational and able to be driven).

Unauthorized Charges

Back to Top

The following are not authorized in connection with a contract move:

  • Ammunition, chemicals, explosives, flammable products, non-household items, living plants, perishables, firewood, decorative stones, building materials, pets, items of extraordinary value (currency, jewelry, art, stocks, bonds, etc.), or any items not normally required in a household.
  • Exclusive use of a moving van unless single shipment requires total van capacity or any specially expedited service.
  • Scheduling services requiring carrier to incur overtime charges including Saturdays, Sundays, or legal holidays and/or before 8:00 a.m. or after 5:00 p.m.
  • Readjustment or color restoration of television sets unless damage was caused by the carrier in mishandling or negligence.
  • Costs for shipment of any restricted items.
  • Maid service after unpacking at the destination is excluded. Any charges for cleaning the residence in connection with the move is not authorized.
  • Travel, means, and lodging to search for new residence and/or temporary living expenses are not paid by the University. Storage in transit may be paid only if included in the approval process.
  • Movement and boarding of live animals; this shall also include feed and bedding.
  • Moves whose weight exceeds 15,000 lbs. are not authorized without prior VP approval.
  • Payment for insurance is not authorized beyond the free limit provided by the carrier.

How To File A Claim

Back to Top

In the event you should have any missing or damaged items after delivery, note all items damaged or missing prior to signing any documents for the driver. Note: The carrier has up to 120 days to locate any missing items. Keep a copy of all documents you sign. Call carrier contact representative and have them mail the necessary claim forms to you.

It is your responsibility to:

  1. Complete all claim forms within 30 days.
  2. Follow instructions on forms.
  3. Keep a complete copy of the claim forms for your personal files.

Household moves are NOT covered by the University's insurance, nor is the University responsible for loss or for filing claims. However, the Office of Procurement Services will provide assistance to expedite your claim. If you have any questions about completing the forms or filing the claim, do not hesitate to call your carrier contact representative.