Office of Procurement Services
10501 FGCU Blvd South
Fort Myers, FL 33965-6565
Qualified Moving Expenses represent the portion of expenditures that are reimbursable by the University. Expenses that meet the criteria for qualified moving expenses may include the following:
• Packing and crating
• Shipping of household goods
• Moving a mobile home
• Transporting household goods by common carrier, rental truck or trailer, vehicle or boat
• Fuel for moving truck
• Cost of shipping household pets
• Shipping of the employee’s vehicle to their new home
• Cost of using a personal vehicle to transport the employee, household members and household goods to the new home. Mileage may be reimbursed at the amount allowable under IRS Publication 521. A MapQuest printout showing the route taken and mileage should be submitted with the Self-Move Reimbursement Form.
• Tolls between the former home and new home
• Uncrating (see definition)
• Up to one month of storage costs
• Lodging may be included as part of the move provided the expense is incurred during the move and is in direct route to the new location.
• There may only be one move of a single residence to the new employee’s home or apartment, (unless authorized by a Vice-President or above).
• Normal liability insurance of the common carrier (not valuation insurance)
• Liability insurance for rental vehicle or truck used in the move
• When a contract mover is used, damage/replacement insurance is included in the cost; when a non-contract mover is used, the employee is responsible for the cost of damage/replacement insurance.