Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
Admissions Prospective Students

Admissions - Undergraduate

Follow us on Twitter Join us on Facebook Browse our photos on Flickr Browse our photos on Flickr View our videos on YouTube
Step 1: Undergraduate Prospective Students
Apply Now
Information For
Information About
Related Links

Contact Information
Undergraduate Admissions
Howard Hall (main floor)
10501 FGCU Boulevard South
Fort Myers, Florida

(239) 590-7878
(888) 889-1095

International FAQ

[ open ]
What is the application fee? How can I pay it?
  • The application fee is $30.00.
  • The fee must be in U.S. dollars, drawn from a U.S. bank.
  • Checks or money orders should be made out to "FGCU" when applying by the downloaded printed application.
  • Applicants may also pay the application fee in person at the Cashier's office located on the First floor of McTarnaghan Hall.
  • Applications received without the application fee will not be processed until the appropriate fee(s) are received.
  • [ open ]
    What is the application process and where are the forms?

    To begin the process, complete an undergraduate application by applying online through our website.

    All of our forms can be found on our Web site on the forms page.

    [ open ]
    What are the application deadlines?

    The deadlines for international student applications to Florida Gulf Coast University can be found at

    [ open ]
    Can international students start their studies in any semester?

    International students can start their studies in the Fall (Aug.) or Spring (Jan.) semesters. They may start in the Summer (May or June) semester by special permission only.

    [ open ]
    Who is considered an international student?

    Applicants applying for an F-1 visa are considered international students at FGCU. Applicants applying for a J-1 exchange visitor /student visa are considered Exchange Visitors or Students.

    [ open ]
    What are the documentation requirements for an international student?

    The international students must submit both academic and immigration documents in order to become eligible for their international student status.

    Academic Documentation

    • International Credential Evaluation - High School - document by document evaluation
    • University or College - Course by Course evaluation. Must have an overall GPA of 2.0 "C" average to be admissible. See recommended agencies in the International Admission Guide
    • TOEFL or IELTS - if not from English speaking country or exempt
    • SAT/ACT test scores - if applying with less than 60 transferable hours
    • GRE/GMAT/MAT - if applying as a graduate student


    • Financial Support Statement - see international admission guide for further information
    • Visa clearance form - if student is transferring from a U.S. institution - see international admissions guide for sample
    [ open ]
    How do I submit my transcripts?
    • Transcripts must be in the original sealed envelope of the issuing institution to be considered official
    • Any transcript that is not in English or if the course work has not been taken in a U.S. institution must be accompanied by a certified evaluation
    • For academic work completed at non-U.S. institutions, a credential evaluation is required for all undergraduate and graduate programs
    • If you have previously attended FGCU in pursuit of a degree, you do not need to submit your FGCU transcripts
    • All documents submitted become the property of FGCU and cannot be returned or forwarded

    For international student transcript evaluations, we suggest you contact one of the international agencies located on the following website:

    A course by course evaluation is required for any college courses taken and is recommended for high school equivalency unless a GPA is included in the evaluation. If so, then a document by document evaluation will suffice.

    You need to request that the agency send the results directly by mail to Undergraduate Admissions Office as an official document. Should you require any additional information, please contact the Admissions Office at our toll free number (888) 889-1095 or e-mail:

    [ open ]
    How do I submit my test scores?
  • Applicants are encouraged to take any required tests as early as possible to avoid delays in the processing of their applications
  • Photocopies of score reports should be included in the application packet whenever possible to expedite processing. NOTE: photocopies are considered unofficial and any admission to FGCU made based upon unofficial scores will not be finalized until official scores are received
  • All standardized test scores for the ACT, SAT, GRE, GMAT, IELTS and TOEFL must be submitted to FGCU from the agency administering the test. Below are the agency links to register for each test and FGCU code(s)
  • For more information on the Graduate entrance tests, please see the following Web site:
  • TOEFL or IELTS scores must be dated within three years of the desired term to be considered. A minimum passing score of 79 on the internet-based TOEFL test, 213 on the computer-based TOEFL test, or 550 on the paper-based TOEFL test or a 6.5 on the IELTS test is required for admission.
  • GRE/GMAT scores must be dated within five years of the desired term of entry to be considered.
  • All documents submitted become the property of FGCU and cannot be returned or forwarded.
  • [ open ]
    Do I need to submit an SAT or ACT?
    • Applicants need to submit SAT or ACT scores if they have less than 60 transferable hours coming in to FGCU or if they are coming in to FGCU as a Freshman
    • If submitting a credential evaluation without a High School GPA, an SAT score of 1450 (Critical Reading + Math + Writing) not including essay or an ACT score of 21 without the essay is required

    If the High School GPA is included on the credential evaluation, the test score must coincide with the GPA on this page.

    [ open ]
    What is the language requirement? Do I need to take TOEFL?

    All international applicants for whom English is not the native tongue must provide proof of competence in the English language. International applicants from non-English speaking countries must provide a minimum TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based test), 213 (computer-based test) or 550 (written test), or 6.5 on the IELTS test taken within 3 years of the desired term of entry. See also the list below for the English speaking countries from which an applicant will not be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.

    English Speaking Countries

    Please note: many other countries have English as a major language, but NOT as the 'native/official' language. TOEFL or IELTS will be required unless English proficiency is otherwise proven.

    Antigua - Australia - Bahamas - Bahrain - Bangladesh - Barbados - Barbuda - Belize - Bermuda - Botswana - Cameroon (Only North-West and South-West Provinces) - Canada, except Quebec (French) - Cayman Islands - Commonwealth Caribbean, Including Belize - Dominica - Fiji - Ghana - Grenada - Guyana - Kenya - Irish Republic - Jamaica - Lesotho- Liberia - Malawi - New Zealand - Nigeria - Ireland - Papua New Guinea - Sierra Leone - South Africa (If Afrikaans is NOT native language) - St. Kitts & Nevis - St. Lucia - St. Vincent & Grenadines - Swaziland - Tanzania - Tobago - Trinidad - Uganda - United Kingdom - Virgin Islands - Zambia - Zimbabwe

    TOEFL or IELTS Exemptions

    • If you are from an English-speaking country, you do not need to take the TOEFL or IELTS test
    • You can also be exempt if you have an Associate of Arts Degree from a public Florida Community or State College
    • Have a Bachelor's degree from a U.S. institution
    • Have a minimum of a "C" in English Composition Courses 1 & 2
    • Attended a U.S. high school for the entire four years and graduated

    Applicants who are unable to meet this requirement should contact local Educational Institutions in Southwest Florida that offer Intensive English as a Second Language Courses to help them prepare for the TOEFL test. Currently, Florida Gulf Coast University does not offer Intensive English as a Second Language Classes to enable international applicants with the necessary language skills to gain admission.

    [ open ]
    Can I receive financial assistance?
    • It is the applicant's responsibility to locate funds if outside assistance is needed
    • Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or Permanent Resident Aliens are not eligible for federal financial aid
    • Applicants should apply for scholarships/assistantships/fellowships through the appropriate sponsoring body/graduate program
    • Links to several aid sources available on the main FGCU International Admissions can be found by clicking here: Financial Aid and Scholarships for International Students
    • Currently international students can apply for a tuition waiver. For more information please click here: Tuition Waiver Information
    • You can apply for FGCU Foundation Scholarships. The information can be accessed by clicking here: FGCU Foundation Scholarships (Please note that the application is only open between November 15th and March 15th each year).

    Additional Florida and U.S. Financial Assistance

    [ open ]
    Can I claim Florida Residency as an international student?

    F and J visa holders cannot claim Florida residency; however other types of international students are able to claim Florida residency. See below.

    Residency Classification for International Students

    • Permanent resident alien
    • Parolees
    • Asylees
    • Refugees
    • Or other permanent status persons (e.g., conditional permanent residents and temporary residents), who have applied to and have been approved by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services with no date certain for departure

    Non-immigrants holding one of the following visas shall be considered eligible to establish Florida residency for tuition purposes:

    • Visa category A - Government official
    • Visa category E - Treaty trader or investor
    • Visa category G - representative of international organization
    • Visa category H-1 - Temporary worker performing professional nursing services or in a specialty occupation
    • Visa category H-4 - Only if spouse or child of alien classified H-1
    • Visa category I - Foreign information media representative
    • Visa category K - Fiance, fiancee or a child of United States citizen(s)
    • Visa category L - Intra-company transferee (including spouse or child)
    • Visa category N - Parent or child of alien accorded special immigrant status
    • Visa category O-1 - Workers of 'extraordinary' ability in the sciences, arts education, business, or athletics
    • Visa category O-3 - Only if spouse or child of O-1 alien
    • Visa category R - Religious workers
    • Visa category NATO 1-7 - Representatives and employees of NATO and their families
    • Visa category T - Victims of trafficking, who cooperate with federal authorities in prosecution of traffickers, and their spouses and children
    • Visa category V - Spouses and children of lawful permanent residents

    Non-U.S. citizens who fall within the following categories shall also be considered eligible to establish Florida residency for tuition purposes:

    • Citizens of Micronesia
    • Citizens of the Marshall Islands
    • Beneficiaries of the Family Unity Program
    • Individuals granted temporary protected status
    • Individual granted withholding of deportation status
    • Individual granted suspension of deportation status or cancellation of removal
    • Individuals granted a stay of deportation status
    • Individuals granted deferred action status
    • Individuals granted deferred enforced departure status
    • Applicants for adjustment of status
    • Asylum applicants with UCIS receipt of Immigration Court stamp

    Required Residency Documents

    The assignment of Florida residency for tuition paying purposes requires that the person claiming residency (student, or student’s parent, legal guardian or spouse) provides documentation that demonstrates that he/she has lived in Florida for at least one year prior to the start of classes of the semester of admission and does not also have ties to another state or country. Below documents may not be conclusive evidence that you or your parent, legal guardian or spouse qualify for in-state tuition. You may be required to provide additional documentation depending on your individual circumstances.

    1. Proof of two legal ties to the state of Florida is required. At least one such tie must be issued one year prior to the start of the semester for which you are applying. Please submit copies of the following:
      • Florida Driver's License
      • Florida Vehicle Registration
      • Florida Vehicle Title
      • Florida Voter's Registration
      • Declaration of Domicile
      • Proof of purchase of Permanent Home (Warranty Deed)
      • Florida Occupational/Professional License
      • Permanent Full-Time Employment
    2. Proof that person claiming residency was physically present and maintaining a residence in the state of Florida for periods of non-enrollment is required. Such proof might include lease agreements, utility bills or bank statements for each month, or a letter from his/her employer on letterhead stating that he/she was employed in the state during that time period.
    3. If student is not the person claiming residency, then proof of dependency relationship of parent, legal guardian or spouse:
      • Parents' most recent Federal tax return (specifically, the page listing dependents) or a notarized statement from your parents stating that they will be claiming you as a dependent on their Federal tax report or that they provide for at least 51% of your expenses.
      • Copy of legal guardianship (if living with relative who is not a parent) and five years of Federal tax returns (or notarized statement from legal guardian stating that they have provided at least 51% of your expenses for 5 years.
      • Copy of marriage license.
    [ open ]
    Tuition Fees / Cost of Attending FGCU

    Cost of Attendance

    For general information on tuition fees, please see Cost of Tuition and Other Fees, as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.

    In addition to the University's figures regarding the cost of attendance, International Student and Scholar services also provides an estimated cost of attendance for students who will need an F-1 visa to study in the U.S. See International Student Admission Guide for complete information.

    For information on residency classification for tuition paying purposes as an international student, please see Residency Classification for International Students.

    U.S. Federal Financial Aid - international applicants are not eligible for financial aid such as Stafford Loans and Pell Grants but may apply for other forms of aid such as scholarships and fellowships. See Sources of Funding

    [ open ]
    Issuance of Visa Documents (Financial Statement)
    • All international applicants needing an F-1 visa must show that they have the financial resources to pay for their studies to receive an I-20 upon admission to FGCU. The amount necessary is determined each year by International Student and Scholar Services and is published as part of the International Student Admission Guide.
    • A Financial Statement ascertaining funds must be dated within 6 months of the planned term of entry.
    • A Visa Clearance Form is needed if a student is transferring from a U.S. institution
    [ open ]
    Status of an Application
  • All communication with current applicants is achieved through email.
  • Applicants will receive an email communication whenever a change in the application status occurs.
  • Applicants who have not provided an email address will be sent a missing items letter on the status of their application.
  • Applicants who have not provided an email address will receive a decision letter indicating the final decision regarding their application.
  • To ensure the receipt of an application, applicants are encouraged to use certified mail/mail delivery services whenever possible, or to apply online through our website.
  • When submitting an application via surface mail, please allow up to 60 days for initial processing to occur, to account for overseas shipping.
  • [ open ]
    International Admissions Contact Information

    Undergraduate Admissions

    Howard Hall (main floor)
    10501 FGCU Boulevard South
    Fort Myers, Florida 33965-6565

    Tel: ++ (239) 590-7878
    Toll Free: ++ (888) 889-1095
    Fax: ++ (239) 590-7894

    Graduate Admissions

    Office of Graduate Studies
    10501 FGCU Boulevard South
    Fort Myers, FL 33965-6565

    Tel: ++(239) 590-7988
    Fax: ++(239) 590-7843
    Toll Free: ++(800) 590-3428, option 5, extension 7988
    In Person - Office of Graduate Studies, 2300 Lutgert Hall

    [ open ]
    What is the Au Pair program?

    1. What is the Au Pair program?

    The Au Pair Program is a program of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US Department of State. This program is coordinated by agencies specifically authorized to sponsor Au Pairs. Academic institutions are not sponsors of the Au Pair Program. Through the Au Pair program foreign nationals between 18 and 26 years of age participate directly in the home life of a US host family by providing limited childcare services for up to 12 months. Participants in the Au Pair program must be proficient in spoken English, and are required to complete at least 6 hours of academic credit or its equivalent at an accredited US post-secondary educational institution. Au pairs participating in the EduCare program pursue not less than twelve semester hours of academic credit or its equivalent during their year of program participation.


    2. Is FGCU responsible for sponsoring the Au Pair Program?

    No, this program is coordinated by agencies specifically authorized to sponsor Au Pairs.


    3. What visa does an Au Pair hold?

    They hold a J-1 visa, which should be active for the duration of the term they choose to enroll in classes.


    4. What is the application process?

    • Submit non-degree application
    • Submit TOEFL test as evidence of English language proficiency: A minimum passing score of 213 on the computerized TOEFL or 550 on the paper and pencil TOEFL or 79 on the internet based TOEFL.
    • Submit official evaluated college transcripts to determine appropriate course placement and if prerequisite have been met.


    5. What is the application fee? How can I pay it?

    The application fee is $30.00. The fee must be paid in US dollars, drawn from a US bank. Check or money orders should be made out to “FGCU”. Applications received without the application fee will not be processed until the appropriate fee is received.


    6. What are the application deadlines?

    The application deadline for Au Pairs is the same as the Non-Degree Seeking application deadline.


    7. What documents are required for Au Pairs to attend FGCU?

    • Copy of DS 2019 (shows program start and end dates in item #3 and processing at Port of Entry)
    • Copy of Passport photo ID page
    • Copy of current US Visa (J-1) status
    • A SEVIS transfer form (to have her current J-1 sponsor verify her status)
    • Copy of current I-94 (front and back)
    • Financial Statement Form


    8. Are Au Pairs required to submit proof of health insurance in order to attend FGCU?

    Au Pairs are required to comply with the Florida and FGCU International Student Health Insurance regulations. They will need to enroll in the mandatory FGCU International Student Health Insurance or provide evidence of compliance through an acceptable, alternate insurance program. Au Pairs who wish to present alternate insurance must do so through the compliance process and deadlines established by International Services.


    9. Are Au Pairs required to attend Orientation?

    Au Pairs are required to attend the International Student Orientation.


    10. Who should be the point of contact in Undergraduate Admissions?

    Starr Bannworth, Assistant Director of Transfer and International Admissions.

    Tel: 239-590-7878 or Toll Free: 1-888-889-1095



    11. What is my residency status for tuition purposes?

    Au Pairs will be charged out-of-state tuition based on the J visa category.