Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
First Year Advising

First Year Advising - Florida Gulf Coast University

Follow us on Twitter Join us on Facebook Browse our photos on Flickr
First Year Advising
Admitted Students
Enrolled Students
Transitioning Students
Parents and Guests

FGCU Main Campus
McTarnaghan Hall Suite 229

Mailing Address
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Boulevard South
Fort Myers, FL 33965-6565
(800) 590-3428(FGCU)

Main Office
McTarnaghan Hall 229
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00AM-5:00PM
(239) 590-7875
(239) 590-7862 {fax}

South Village Office
Eagle Hall 4001 (4th floor)
Hours: Mon-Thur 8 AM - 7 PM &
  Fri 8 AM - 5 PM
(239) 745-4300
(239) 745-4336 {fax}

Contact Email
*email response time may be up to 1-2 business days.

Frequently Asked Questions

[ open ]
How can I schedule an appointment to meet with an Academic Counselor in First Year Advising?

To schedule an appointment with an Academic Counselor in First Year Advising, students must reach out to the front desk by phone or stop by one of our two office locations:

  • To schedule an appointment on main campus, stop by our office in McTarnaghan Hall 229, or call the office: (239) 590-7875.
  • To schedule an appointment in South Village, stop by our office in Eagle Hall 4001, or call the office: (239) 745-4300 or (239) 745-4301.

Appointments cannot be made via email.  

[ open ]
I am a student advised by First Year Advising and I would like to change my major. How can I do this?

To change your major, you can either submit a request from your eagle email account to, or you can schedule an appointment to meet with an Academic Counselor in First Year Advising.

To schedule an appointment on main campus (McTarnaghan Hall 229), give us a call at (239) 590-7875. To schedule an appointment in South Village (Eagle Hall 4001) call (239) 745-4300 or (239) 745-4301.

Note: advising appointments cannot be made via email.

[ open ]
I am now advised by my College. Who do I contact to see up an advising appointment?

Students who have transitioned into the College which houses their major will meet with an Academic Advisor in their respective College. A full list of majors, along with their corresponding College, can be found on our Undergraduate Programs page, and contact information for all advising units at FGCU can be found here.

[ open ]
I am thinking about declaring a minor. Where can I find the minors offered at FGCU? How do I declare a minor?

A full list of all minors offered at FGCU can be found in the Academic Catalog.

Students are able to declare a minor once they transition out of First Year Advising and into the College which houses their major.

[ open ]
What is Grade Forgiveness and how can I use it to raise my Grade Point Average (GPA)?

Grade Forgiveness allows students to retake a course and replace their previously earned grade with their newly earned grade in their overall (cumulative) GPA.

Students who wish to utilize Grade Forgiveness must have earned an original grade of “C-” or lower in their first attempt of a couse taken at FGCU, and the grade earned in the second attempt (of the same course) must be higher than the first grade earned in the course.  All grades will remain on the academic transcript, but the grade received on the first attempt will not be calculated into the student's GPA.

The original course will be annotated with "E" to indicate that the course has been subsequently repeated and excluded from the GPA calculation. The repeated course will be annotated with "I" to indicate a repeat course and is included in the GPA calculation. Grade Forgiveness can be used a maximum of two times throughout a student’s academic career at FGCU.

Students are encouraged to submit the Grade Forgiveness form (signed by an advisor) to the Office of the Registrar (McTarnaghan Hall 116) prior to the deadline noted in the academic calendar for the given semester. 

If a student forgets to submit a Grade Forgiveness form within the semester they are repeating the course, the form may also be submitted in a later semester and still be processed, but the cumulative GPA will not change until the end of the semester in which the form was submitted.



[ open ]
I have hold on my account that is preventing me from registering for classes. How do I find out what this hold means and how I remove it from my account?

The university has a set of holds that they can use to ensure that you meet your financial and personal obligations to the university.  Most of these holds prevent students from registering for additional semesters until they are resolved.  

Information regarding hold types, offices that placed the hold, and hold resolution information can be found here, and by clicking on the Holds Matrix on the "View Holds" page in Gulfline.

[ open ]
I know that students are required to complete 9 credit hours of summer course work. Do I have to complete these credits at FGCU?

No. Undergraduate students entering FGCU with fewer than 60 semester hours of credit must enroll in a minimum of 9 credit hours of college coursework during one or more summer sessions prior to graduation. This information can be found here through the Academic Catalog.

These 9 credits can be completed (either on campus or through virtual enrollment) at any public State College or university in the state of Florida.

[ open ]
I am currently enrolled in 12 credits and need to drop one course which will make me a part-time student. Will this impact my ability to live on campus or receive financial aid?

Reducing you enrollment from 12 to 9 credit hours in a given semester will not impact your ability to live in on-campus housing, but depending upon when you withdraw from the course (and the type of aid you have), you may be required to repay some of the fees associated with the course, and it may impact your financial aid eligibility for future semesters.

You should reach out to the Office of Financial Aid to inquire about how the credit reduction may impact your student account. 

[ open ]
When is the last day I can drop a class without academic penalty?

You are able to withdraw from a course without academic penalty according to the deadline indicated on the Academic Calendar for the given semester. If you choose to withdraw from a course before this deadline, you will receive a ‘W’ on your transcript, and the grade will not get calculated into your GPA.  Only courses dropped during the first week of classes (during "add/drop" week) will result in no academic penalty. 

Students who wish to drop a course after "add/drop" week must complete an Add/Drop Form and have it signed by a First Year Advisor, before delivering the signed form to the Office of the Registrar (McTarnaghan Hall 116).


[ open ]
How do I order an Official Transcript from FGCU?

Official transcripts should be requested through the Office of the Registrar. If you have any additional questions regarding how to order your transcripts, contact the Office of the Registrar at (239) 590-7980 or via email at

[ open ]
I need to take a foreign language at FGCU. Is there a way I can be placed into a higher foreign language course or gain college credit for my foreign language knowledge?

Students who need to complete foreign language courses (to meet admission standards or degree rquirements) who have strong foreign language proficiency may opt to take a foreign language exam to help determine enrollment in FGCU foreign language course offerings in Chinese, French, German, Russian and Spanish.  If the results are strong enough, it may be possible to enroll in a more advanced course.    

Consulting with a first year advisor is recommended before proceeding to take the online foreign language placement exam.

Students may also earn credit for their foreign language proficiency through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) by earning a qualifying placement score in a foreign language CLEP examination