Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
First Year Advising

First Year Advising - Florida Gulf Coast University

Follow us on Twitter Join us on Facebook Browse our photos on Flickr
First Year Advising
Admitted Students
Enrolled Students
Transitioning Students
Parents and Guests

FGCU Main Campus
McTarnaghan Hall Suite 229

Mailing Address
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Boulevard South
Fort Myers, FL 33965-6565
(800) 590-3428(FGCU)

Main Office
McTarnaghan Hall 229
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00AM-5:00PM
(239) 590-7875
(239) 590-7862 {fax}

South Village Office
Eagle Hall 4001 (4th floor)
Hours: Mon-Thur 8 AM - 7 PM &
  Fri 8 AM - 5 PM
(239) 745-4300
(239) 745-4336 {fax}

Contact Email
*email response time may be up to 1-2 business days.

Frequently Asked Questions

[ open ]
I have been admitted to FGCU for the fall term, but I would like to begin courses during the summer term instead. How can I change my admission term to enroll for summer?

To inquire about changing your admission term from fall to summer, you will have to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and complete the admissions change of term form.

[ open ]
I have recently been admitted to FGCU and I understand that I must register for an Eagle View Orientation. How do I go about doing this?

Recently admitted students will want to visit the Newly Admitted Undergraduate Students page for steps on what to do once you’re admitted. This page will lead you to information pertaining to Eagle View Orientation, where you can find a step-by-step guide to registration for an orientation program date.

If you are still experiencing difficulty registering for an orientation date, you can reach out to the Eagle View Orientation staff at (239) 590-7875 or at

[ open ]
What does the AF or Freshman Advising hold on my record mean?

The Freshman Advising (AF) hold is placed on student records to prevent scheduling changes when they are not permitted based on the official university calendar.

Summer & Fall 2015 freshman admits will have their AF hold deactivated on the second day of Eagle View Orientation to permit registration, and students can adjust their schedules as needed until the close of the add drop period (8/26/15 for the fall semester).  At that point, the hold will become active again, preventing any schedule changes without advisor approval.  The AF hold will automatically deactivate to permit course registration during Eagle Priority Registration for the spring semester, and then reactivate at the close of the add/drop period for spring.    

Summer & Fall 2015 admits who are on good standing will then be transitioned to college advising on 2/01/16 and will have a College Advising (AV) Hold placed on their records at that point, which will be lifted after completing the necessary steps to transition to that particular college (usually completion of a transition workshop).

Students on academic warning as of 2/01/16 will be retained in First Year Advising until they earn 24 credits or are no longer on academic warning/probation.

[ open ]
I’ve been admitted to FGCU as a freshman, can I make an appointment to speak with a first year advisor before Eagle View Orientation to register for classes?

The course registration process occurs during Eagle View Orientation, after students have attended a session about academics at FGCU, learned how to search for available courses in Gulfline, discussed the courses they plan to take for their first semester with an Academic Counselor from the Office of First Year Advising, and learned how to complete the course registration process.

Once students have attended EVO and registered for their courses, they are welcome to follow-up with the FYA staff (via email, phone, or in-person appointment) if they have any further questions!   

[ open ]
I have an Immunization Hold (IM) on my account. What does this mean and how can I have it removed so I can register for courses?

All admitted students are required to submit proper documentation of their immunization history to the university prior to enrollment.  Once these records are received and processed by the Student Health Service, the Immunization Hold will be removed.

For information pertaining to the IM hold that you have on your account, review the FGCU Student Health Services website and contact their office if you need more information about the documentation needed to meet the university's immunization requirement.

[ open ]
What majors are offered at FGCU?

All of the majors offered at the university are housed in five academic colleges under the Division of Academic Affairs: College of Arts & Sciences, Lutgert College of Business, College of Education, College of Health Professions & Social Work and the Whitaker College of Engineering.

For a complete list of majors click here.

[ open ]
What if I am undecided about a major? Will I fall behind in my classes?

This is a very common concern of new college students, who aren't always comfortable choosing their major until they have taken several semesters of college courses and learned more about the majors that are offered by FGCU.  

This is why it is important to focus on the completion of General Education Program (GEP) requirements in the first year of college. Completing GEP coursework gives new students a chance to explore the curriculum, try courses in many different academic departments, and meet course requirements for graduation that will be needed by every major at the university.  As long as they are completing the GEP, students can stay on track toward degree completion!    

First Year Advisors are always available to help undecided students with the process of choosing their major.    

[ open ]
What classes should I take towards my major?

To learn about the recommended course sequences for undergraduate majors at FGCU, take some time to review the "Major Track Course Recommendations" (Acrobat Reader required)

[ open ]
What are General Education requirements?

The General Education Program must be completed by all degree-seeking undergraduate students at FGCU.  It includes 36 semester hours of coursework in the subject areas of communication, mathematics, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences.

For a comprehensive list of General Education course offerings in each of these subject areas, click here.

[ open ]
How do I know what math course to take in my first semester?

Incoming FTIC (first-year) students are placed into mathematics courses based upon their ACT/SAT mathematics sub-score and choice of major. 

Depending upon their major, some students will need to take additional math courses beyond what is required by the university's general education program; in those cases, there is the option to take a Mathematics Placement Test in order to place into a higher mathematics course.  For more information about enrollment in math courses, click here.


[ open ]
What can I do with my major?

Career Development Services has a number of resources on their website for you to explore possible career options that relate to many different majors at FGCU.  See: "What can I do with this Major" to get started!

[ open ]
Does high school dual enrollment or Advanced Placement coursework count toward my undergraduate degree?

FGCU accepts Dual Enrollment credit for college courses completed in high school, as well as credits achieved through participation in a number of accelerated credit programs. Click here for more information on the articulation of credits from Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Cambridge AICE, and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). 

[ open ]
Does FGCU have an Honors Program?

FGCU offers an Honors Program for undergraduate students. For more information, click on the following link:

[ open ]
I am a First Time in College (freshman) student. What advisor do I meet with and where is his or her office located?

Most FTIC students are advised by First Year Advising during their first semester at FGCU.  

First Year Advising has two different office locations where advisors are available to meet with students: 229 McTarnaghan Hall and 4001 Eagle Hall (for students living on campus in South Village).  Students are able to meet with the first available advisor. 

  • McTarnaghan Hall 229 - office hours are Mon-Fri 8 AM - 5 PM.  Schedule appointments by calling 239-590-7875.
  • Eagle Hall 4001 - office hours are Mon-Thur 8 AM - 7 PM and Fri 8 AM - 5PM.  Schedule appointments by calling 239-745-3000.

Students transition to upper level (college) advising during their 2nd semester if they are in good academic standing.

[ open ]
I'm a First Time in College (freshman) student. How do I register for classes?

New students register for classes during Eagle View Orientation, after they have met with an academic counselor from First Year Advising.

Students who are preparing for their second semester of enrollment at FGCU should contact First Year Advising (239-590-7875) if they would like to speak with an academic counselor prior to registration on Gulfline.  In subsequent semesters, after transitioning to college advising, students can choose between registering online through Gulfline and registering in person through the Office of the Registrar. 

[ open ]
I have a transcript hold (TR/AD) on my account and I cannot web register for my classes. Why do I have this hold?

Students may have final official transcript (TR/AD) holds placed on their student record by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions when there are official documents that are still in need of submission.  For FTIC (freshmen) students, this typically means that a final official transcript from the high school has not been received or processed by Admissions.   

For Summer & Fall 2015 freshmen admits, active holds are set to display in a student's Gulfline record on September 15, 2015. Students should proactively resolve any holds on their record prior to this date so they will be able to register for the Spring 2016 semester in late October and early November. 

[ open ]
When will I be able to web register on GULFLINE for my second semester at FGCU?

Web registration timelines correspond with the number of earned credit hours as noted on the Registrar's Eagle Priority Registration website.

Summer and Fall 2015 FTIC (freshman) admits in good academic standing typically web register for Spring 2016 starting mid November, 2015 (date TBD).

[ open ]
What do I do if a course I would like to take is closed?

While there is no guarantee that you can be added into a particular course that is full, there is a procedure to follow to atempt to gain approval to enroll in a closed course. 

If you discover that a particular course (or section) is full, you can contact the professor offering the course. We suggest leaving a voice mail with the professor as well as sending them an email. In these contacts be sure to communicate your full name and the 5 digit CRN (Course Reference Number) of the course in which you wish to enroll.  If the instructor agrees to add you into the full course, be sure to ask the faculty member to email this permission to an advisor for them to add the course to your schedule. Emails must be sent directly from the professor to the advisor. 

Students may also obtain a hard copy statement signed by the professor noting the permission to enroll in the particular CRN (Course Reference Number) and bring this document to a First Year Advisor.

Note: Students desiring courses offered through the Lutgert College of Business (i.e. Intro to Business GEB 1011, Intro to Computers CGS 1100, etc.) should contact: Lutgert College of Business Advising

Note: If a course does not give a professors name and instead labels the instructor as "staff" you will need to contact the secretary of the college in which the course is offered (the majority of these "staff" labeled courses fall under the College of Arts & Sciences). The secretary can then relay your request to the prospective professor.


[ open ]
What do I do if I want to drop a class?

Students may drop a class before or within the add/drop period through Gulfline with no academic or financial penalty.  The add/drop deadlines for each semester can be found on the academic calendar.   

After the add/drop period, dropping a class from your course schedule is considered a withdrawal, which will result in a loss of enrollment fees for the the withdrawn class and a notation of "W" on your official transcript. To withdraw from a class after the add/drop deadline, First Time in College (freshmen) students must contact the First Year Advising Office to submit their withdrawal request.

NOTE: Beginning with courses taken in the fall 2017 term, students will be held to the 3/2 Withdrawal Limit Rule

[ open ]
Where do I learn about housing?

To learn about life in the residence halls at FGCU and apply for housing on campus, visit the Housing and Residence Life website.

[ open ]
What are the requirements for an Associate of Arts (AA) degree?

Refer to FGCU Catalog for specific degree requirements for the Associate of Arts Degree

[ open ]
What are the rules for the Summer Enrollment Requirement for graduation from FGCU?

In order to receive a baccalaureate degree in the state of Florida, degree seeking undergraduate students who enter the university with LESS THAN 60 earned hours of credit (taken after graduation from high school) are required to earn a minimum of nine (9) credit hours during one or more summer terms.

These 9 credits can be taken one class at a time in various summer semesters or can be taken together in summer sessions as well.  To learn more about the Summer Enrollment Requirement, consult the University Catalog.