Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
Business Applications

Business Applications

Faculty and Staff FAQ's

[ open ]
How do I contact the Help Desk?
  • You can reach the Help Desk in several ways
  • Calling us at 239-590-1188
  • Emailing us at
  • Visiting us in Ben Hill Griffin III room 252 between 7:30am and 5:00 pm
[ open ]
How can I unlock my University network account?

The "Password Reset Portal" is a  portal that will allow you to unlock your own account, or change your password, through a simple user-defined challenge. Click here for more information.

[ open ]
How do I set up voicemail on my desktop phone?

To set up voicemail on your desktop phone please visit our Knowledge Base.

Set up voicemail

[ open ]
Do I have the ability to make a conference call?

Conference calling is available for desktop phones, for detailed information, please visit this link for the Knowledge Base article:

Conference Calling

[ open ]
How do I handle harassing telephone calls?

Harassing, threatening, or abusive telephone calls should be reported to the University Police Department (UPD). A formal complaint must be filed with UPD before the Department of Telecommunications can become involved.

Once a complaint is filed, UPD will notify the Department of Telecommunications of the situation. Specific action will be coordinated with UPD and the recipient of the calls. All caller identification information will be supplied directly to UPD for appropriate action.

[ open ]
How do I report a problem with my telephone?

All telephone, modular messaging and/or line problems should be reported to the Department of Telecommunications. Problems can be reported via:

  1. Email (, or
  2. Phone (239-590-1001).

The problem will be logged and dispatched for analysis and resolution. All attempts will be made to resolve the trouble at the time it is reported. However, correction time for resolution is based on the severity of the trouble.

When the problem has been resolved, you will be contacted to confirm that the problem was resolved satisfactorily.

[ open ]
As faculty/staff, do we have any discounts available?

Yes, we have a few offers that we can provide for Faculty/Staff. For information on this click here.

[ open ]
Do you offer and Antivirus for my home PC or Mac?

We currently use Microsoft Security Essentials on campus and recommend the Free Home version that is available online for download for PC’s. For Macs on campus we currently use Sophos Antivirus and recommend the Free Home version that is available online for download as well. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

[ open ]
Where can I save work information that is very important to me or my department?

We have a campus departmental folder for each department allowing all members of the department full access. This folder is meant to allow departments to share or save files that are of importance. These folders are backed up routinely to insure no loss of data. Also, each faculty member has been given a personal share folder that is automatically mapped when they log in to the computer they are using. This allows a faculty member to save data while at their desktop PC, then access it from a classroom podium PC without transporting the data. This folder shows up as the W: drive. These folders are accessible and visible only to the assigned faculty member. This folder is intended to be used for the faculty member’s course work, projects, or information that is not departmental in nature. For more information on the netowrk shares, please click here.

[ open ]
Can I send a fax from my desktop computer?

You have two options for faxing at FGCU:

  1. Online faxing, or
  2. Conventional paper-based faxing.

Online faxing is secure, easy to use, and does not require paper, toner cartridges, or maintenance. A description of how online faxing works can be found here. For more information on online faxing, or to schedule a demonstration, contact the Department of Telecommunications (, 239-590-1001).

[ open ]
How do contact all my students or use the CRN?

The prefix for all CRN lists is “crn” followed by the course number, then the four digit year and finally a 01 for Spring semester, 05 for Summer semester, and 08 for Fall semester. Then add Here are some examples:

  1. – This is for class 11501 in Spring 2012
  2. – This is for class 57589 in Summer 2012
  3. – This is for class 57589 in Summer 2011
  4. – This is for class 89856 in Fall 2011

CRN lists are not kept for more than 3 semesters. If a professor wishes to contact a previous class, the most reliable way to do so is through Gulfline.

[ open ]
How do I add a network printer?
[ open ]
Do you offer any software for Faculty/Staff?

We provide a copy of Microsoft Office for PCs and for Macs to FGCU Faculty and Staff at no expense to you for your home use. Please visit for more information.

[ open ]
Do you offer any training for Faculty/Staff?

Yes, BTS offers different training classes throughout the year; you may view and sign up for them here

If the training you want is NOT listed under "Please Select a Class", this means the class is full. Please email to be added to the waiting list. We will offer more sessions based on demand.

[ open ]
Where do I go to fill out an account request or renewal form?

The form can be located here

[ open ]
What are the University standards for departmental purchases?

The University has approved set configurations for departmental purchases. Any department may purchase these computers by contacting Purchasing. The configurations are based on current standards and simplicity of supporting our FGCU community.

View current configurations here.

[ open ]
How do I connect to my email off campus?

You can connect to your email through our webmail client which can be accessed by navigating to You can also configure your own personal computer to connect using Outlook anywhere. Or you can remotely connect to your desktop on campus through the MY VPN connection site located at For more information please visit "Connecting Remotely"

[ open ]
What are the complexity requirements of my University password?

To increase password strength and help prevent unauthorized access to University computer systems, passwords must:

  • Not match a password used in the last 365 days
  • Not be similar to your logon name
  • Contain 15 characters minimum
  • Contain 2 of the following:
    • Alphabetic (a,b,c, etc.)
    • Numeric (1,2,3, etc.)
    • Special (!,@,#, etc.)

For more detailed information about passwords, click here.

[ open ]
How do I change my University password?

You can change your password by visiting our Password Reset Portal