Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
College of Arts and Sciences Advising

College of Arts and Sciences Advising



How should I select the classes I need to schedule each semester?

You should select courses based on the following priorities:

During your first two years:

  • Common course prerequisites for your major;
  • General education requirements;

During your junior/senior years:

  • Any of the above, which were not completed;
  • Required courses for your major;
  • Electives in your major;
  • Concentration coursework (if applicable);
  • University Colloquium.

I want to take a course at another institution and make sure the credits will count toward my degree. What should I do?

Schedule an appointment to see a CAS advisor. She/he will determine whether or not the course you wish to take will fulfill a requirement in your FGCU degree. You can fill out the transient form at Please do not sign up for a course elsewhere before you have seen a CAS advisor.

I want to take a class that is closed. What do I do?

Some courses at the University have a waitlist function in the student registration system. If a course is full and has a waitlist function, you can register yourself for the waitlist. For further instructions regarding how to register for a wait listed class, please click here.

I cannot register because there is a hold on my record. What do I do?

Via Gulfline determine the source of the hold and contact the appropriate FGCU office to determine how to resolve the hold.

When should I register for classes?

As early as possible. Your Priority Registration date (based on number of earned hours) can be found on the Academic Calendar. This will give you the best chance of registering for the courses you want at the times you want them. You can change your registration via Gulfline at anytime until the end of the drop/add period at the end of the first week of classes.

Do I need a “C” or better in the courses in my major?

You must earn a “C” or better in all Composition & Computation courses, the common course prerequisites for your major, and all the coursework in your major. Remember, a C- is not a C!

How can I check my degree evaluation?

1. Log into Gulfline

2. Click on Student and Financial Aid

3. Click on Student Records

4. Click on Degree Evaluation

Detailed instructions are available at

What should I do as I near graduation?

Applications to graduate must be submitted via Gulfline in the term of expected graduation by the deadline noted in the academic calendar.

What is the Excess Hours Surcharge?

The 2009 State Legislature enacted a student charge for excess hours. For students enrolling in a State University for the first time in or after the Fall 2009 semester, a tuition rate surcharge will be applied for credit hours that exceed 120% of the completion requirements for the chosen degree program. The surcharge will apply to all “excess hours” and will amount to 50% of the tuition rate. For a program that requires 120 credit hours to graduate, all hours that exceed 144 would count as excess.

In 2011 the Legislature modified the statute and changed the threshold to 115% and a surcharge of 100% of the tuition rate for students entering in Fall 2011 and later. For a program that requires 120 credit hours to graduate, all hours that exceed 138 (115% of 120) would count as excess.

More details can be found at

The law does allow for exceptions to the excess hour surcharge. For example, the courses taken under the following circumstances would not count as excess hours:

  • Articulated accelerated credit (e.g. Advance Placement, International Baccalaureate, CLEP, Dual Enrollment, etc.)
  • Internship credit
  • Certification/Recertification and certificate program credits
  • Credits withdrawn due to medical or personal hardship
  • Credits taken by active-duty military personnel
  • Credits required for a dual major
  • Remedial and English as a Second Language (ESOL) credit
  • Military Science credits in Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) programs

All students should make every effort to enroll in and complete only those courses that are required for their degree program. Repeating courses, changing majors and adding minors that are not required as part of a major may result in excess hours. Student should regularly review their degree audit and consult with an academic advisor to ensure that they are not enrolling in excess hours.