Please visit the Office of Graduate Studies website www.fgcu.edu/graduate or contact Graduate Studies at 239-590-7988 or firstname.lastname@example.org for an application for admission and additional information about the application process. Satisfaction of minimum University and program requirements does not guarantee admission to a graduate program. Applicants should check with the program for the most up to date admission requirements prior to commencing the application process.
Most of the MPA program’s courses are either exclusively or predominantly online courses. However, students who have less than one year of full-time professional work experience in the public or not-for-profit sectors at the time of admission into the program must attend four on-campus professional networking workshops over the course of their MPA program, two of which must be attended within their first year of coursework. The MPA Admissions Committee will determine if an applicant's work experience is sufficient to waive attendance at these on-campus sessions. Students who have less than one year of full-time professional work experience in the public or not-for-profit sectors at the time of admission also must complete a 3-credit MPA internship (PAD 6940). All students must attend one Saturday session during their final semester, in order to deliver a formal oral presentation as part of their Capstone Seminar (PAD 6961).
FGCU’s MPA program periodically surveys its alumnae about their employment experiences after graduation. The most recent survey results (of MPA graduates from Summer 2016 through Spring 2017, six months after their graduation) are as follows:
In addition, the Florida Education and Training Placement Information Program (FETPIP) regularly collects post-graduation employment data for its state universities and colleges. As evidenced by the most recent data (for 2015-2016 graduates), both the post-graduation employment rate and the average full-time earnings of FGCU’s MPA graduates are above the statewide averages for graduate Public Administration programs.
The occupational and family circumstances of students in FGCU’s MPA program are highly diverse. While some of the program’s students have limited occupational and family responsibilities and can pursue their coursework full-time, many of our students have full-time jobs and family responsibilities and are limited to part-time coursework. We are sensitive to each student’s need to balance work, family, and school and to proceed through the program at a manageable pace. Students whose other responsibilities limit them to part-time coursework can take as little as one course per term, provided they complete their degree within seven years of having initiated their MPA coursework. This accommodation of students’ diverse scheduling needs is reflected in the program’s time-to-degree and graduation data. Among students admitted to the program in Academic Year 2013-2014, 18% completed their degree in a standard full-time-student timeframe of two years, and an additional 48% completed their degree within four years, for an overall degree completion rate of 66% during this four-year period.