The PGA Golf Management (PGM) program, a four and a half year college curriculum for aspiring PGA Professionals, is a structured academic program accredited by the PGA of America. Florida Gulf Coast University is one of only 18 schools accredited by the PGA nationally, and the only one in the state of Florida. The program is designed to provide the skills and knowledge base necessary for future golf professionals to succeed in a wide variety of positions within the industry. A primary requirement for students is completion of 16 months of paid internship under the direction of the Internship Coordinator. These work experiences can occur in any number of diverse golf industry settings throughout the country. Some of the areas of study in the program include: business planning, turfgrass management, golf facility operations, advanced golf merchandising, human resources management and three distinct golf instruction classes focused on teaching the game, club-fitting, using state-of the-art instructional technology and developing a teaching business. Students completing the PGM program at Florida Gulf Coast University will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in PGA Golf Management. Upon graduation, students can be elected to Class A PGA Membership upon securing eligible full-time employment.
Located in southwest Florida, FGCU program boasts one of the most desired geographical locations in the country with over 135 courses within an hour of campus. It also serves a local industry employment need. Current PGM students have the opportunity to work part-time, intern, and play at some of the most exclusive facilities in the country.
Program Admission Requirements
PGA Golf Management is a limited access program. Qualified students are admitted for the fall semester. Spring admission is only possible after consultation with the Program Director and completion of several external PGA requirements. Admission decisions are based on materials and coursework completed at the time of application and receipt of the PGA Golf Management Limited Access Application/Golf Handicap Verification form. For priority consideration, all application materials should be received by May 1st of the calendar year for which entry is sought. Application materials received after May 1st will be considered on a space-available basis.
- Submit a FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Complete common prerequisites with a grade of C or better.
- Submit a PGM Limited Access/Handicap Verification Program Application form directly to the PGA Golf Management Program office.
- Provide proof of playing proficiency to a 12 or lower USGA Handicap to the PGA Golf Management Program office. Verification must be provided in one of the following forms:
(a) Valid USGA handicap card
(b) letter/signature from a PGA Golf Professional in good standing
(c) letter of playing ability from a high school golf coach with a transcript of 6 school scores.
- The Handicap Verification Form should may be submitted to PGM office any time prior to your admissions decision.
Non-U.S. Citizens: International students must complete the admissions process through the International office at FGCU. Students can complete the degree requirements, but membership election to the PGA of America requires US Citizenship or Resident Alien status. For further information, please consult with the Program Director.
Transfer students are encouraged to apply. Please contact the PGM office for additional information: 239-590-7719.
Progression And Additional Graduation Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits with at least 48 hours at the upper division (3-4000 level).
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- At least 30 of the last 60 credits must be earned at FGCU.
- Satisfy college-level skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy the FGCU summer enrollment requirement.
- Satisfy service learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Successfully complete all elements of the PGA requirements:
- Knowledge Testing
- Work Experience Portfolio requirements
- PGA Seminars attendance (all 3 levels)
- PGA Final Experience
- Complete a minimum of 16 months of internship.
- Pass the PGA of America Player Ability Test.
- For those who apply for PGA Membership, a background check must be completed and US Citizenship or Resident Alien status must be verified.
- Consult with college advising or PGM director for any additional details.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www2.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: HFT 1000 Introduction to Hospitality/Tourism (3)
Acceptable Substitute: HFTX000
- Required Courses in the Major (51 credits)
FSS 3338C Introduction to F&B Management (3)
HFT 1382 Intro to Golf Management (3)
HFT 2352 Player Development (1)
HFT 3353 Golf Facility Operations (2)
HFT 3383 Adv. Golf Merchandising Oper. (2)
HFT 3404 Resort & Hosp Financial Acct (3)
HFT 3573 R&H Marketing (3)
HFT 3670 R&H Law,Legal Issues&Risk Mgmt (3)
HFT 3948 PGA PGM Internship I (6) - Minimum grade of C or higher is required.
HFT 4381 Golf Executive Management (3)
HFT 4934 PGM Senior Seminar (3)
HFT 4948 PGA PGM Internship II (5)
ORH 2220C Turfgrass Management Operations (3)
PEL 3120 PGA Prep 1 (3)
PEL 3125 PGA Prep 2 (3)
PEL 4126 Golf Practicum (3)
PEO 3124 Director of Golf Instr. Oper. (2)
- Electives in the Major (3 credits)
HFT 3221 Mgmt Resort Hosp Human Resourc (3)
HFT 3271 Intro to Club & Spa Management (3)
HFT 3253 RHM Lodging Operations Man (3)
HFT 3443 Hospitality Info Technology (3)
HFT 3757 Principles of Event Management (3)
HFT 4275 Resort Development & Mgt. (3)
HFT 4343 Resort & Rec Facilities Mgt. (3)
HFT 4380 Golf Course Ownership (3)
HFT 4464 Resort & Hosp Financial Mgmt (3)
HFT 4866 Wine Merchandising, Tasting & Tech (3)
PEL 3123 History of Golf (3)
PEL 4906 PGA PGM Directed Study (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Back to Previous Page