The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Program at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) is designed to prepare graduates with the advanced nursing knowledge and leadership skills to improve health care outcomes and to provide evidence-based nursing across diverse health care settings and systems. The curriculum focuses on providing nurses with the solid science foundation needed to enhance critical reasoning judgment in the management of complex health care situations. Core and specialty courses for the DNP provide knowledge, skills and attributes essential for fully accountable practice in today's health care environment. Emphasis is on innovative and evidence-based nursing practice to meet the demands associated with the increasing complexity of the health care system, improving the safety and quality of patient care delivery, and influencing health care policy.
The MSN to DNP is for students who hold a Master's degree in Nursing with an advanced practice focus (clinical nurse specialist, nurse anesthetist, nurse midwife and nurse practitioner). The DNP will include both full-time and part-time plans of study to meet the needs of working nurses.
Program of Study: Students who already have a MSN degree are able to satisfy the requirements of the MSN to DNP curriculum upon completion of 36 credits that can be completed in 5 semesters of full-time study or 8 semesters of part-time study.
The Doctor of Nursing Practice program in nursing at Florida Gulf Coast University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org)
Program Admission Requirements
See program website at URL listed above.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
- Students must follow a Program of Study approved by the Program Director or designee.
- Students must receive a grade of "B" ("S" if applicable) or better on all courses within the program curriculum.
- Students must meet specific progression, clinical and graduation requirements. See the DNP Program Guidebook, Graduate Student Handbook, General Academic Policies and FGCU Graduation Requirements.
- Successful completion of a minimum of 36 credit hours of doctoral level course work.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater in the DNP program.
- Completion of all courses with a grade of "B" or higher, or "S" (Satisfactory) where applicable.
- Completion of clinical practice requirements.
- Completion of DNP Project requirements.
- Required Courses in the Major (36 credits)
NGR 6638 Advanced Health Promotion (3)
NGR 6712 Foundations of Nursing Educ. (3)
NGR 6872 Nursing Information Management (3)
NGR 7769 Advanced Practice Management (3)
NGR 7846 Biostatistics & Epidemiology (3)
NGR 7856 Evidenced-Based Trans Research (3)
NGR 7895 Health Policy (3)
NGR 7899 Organization Syst. & Leadership (3)
NGR 7949L DNP Clinical Practice (7)*
NGR 7974 DNP Project (5)*
*Credit hours are spread over varying semesters
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 36
Back to Previous Page