The B.A. in Early Childhood Education is designed to prepare students for certification from the Florida Department of Education for Prekindergarten/Primary (age 3 to grade 3), as well as Prekindergarten/Disability endorsement, ESOL endorsement and Reading endorsement. Coursework and extensive field experiences enable students to dynamically integrate theory and teaching practices. Competencies include content-specific knowledge applicable to the unique developmental needs of this age population including a thorough understanding of cultural diversity, individual differences, and skills to work with children in individual ways, particularly English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students; and an emphasis on capabilities of teachers to work with children with atypical abilities and special needs.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a COE major. In order to transition from a COE pre-major to a major, students must complete the following:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
Students must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Level I Internship.
Students must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Level II Internship.
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete:
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See: https://www.fgcu.edu/studentlife/servicelearning/
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/academics/undergraduatestudies/generaleducation/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses (57 credits)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4112 Child Growth & Development (3)
EDG 3323 Professional Teaching Practice (3)
EDG 4371 Creative & Affective Develpmnt (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEC 3268 Play Development & Assessment (3)
EEC 4307 Cognitive Exp for Yng Children (3)
EEC 4940 Internship: Early Childhood (9)
EEC 4942 Integrated Field Exp. - EC (3)
EEX 4201 Young Children with Spec Needs (3)(offered only in the spring)
EEX 4221 Educ Assess ofExceptional Stud (3)
MAE 4310 Math Content & Processes (3)
RED 4310 Early Literacy Learning (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
TSL 3080 Foundations of ESOL (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur and Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Back to Previous Page