The B.A. in Secondary Biology Education is designed to prepare students to teach Biology in Florida in grades 6-12. The program of study includes course work in science as well as education, with extensive field experiences in secondary school settings in the FGCU five-county service area (Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, and Lee) to enable students to integrate learning theory with teaching practice.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a COE major. In order to transition from a COE pre-major to a major, students must complete the following:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
Students must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Level I Internship.
Students must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Level II Internship.
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete:
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See: https://www.fgcu.edu/studentlife/servicelearning/
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/academics/undergraduatestudies/generaleducation/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
FGCU Course: BSC 1010C Gen’l Biology w/Lab I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: (BSCX010 and BSCX010L) or BSCX010C
FGCU Course: BSC 1011 General Biology II (3) and BSC 1011L General Biology II Laboratory (1)
Acceptable Substitute: (BSCX011 and BSCX011L) or BSCX011C
FGCU Course: CHM 1045 General Chemistry I (3) and CHM 1045L General Chemistry I Lab (1)
Acceptable Substitute: CHMX045C or (CHMX045 and CHMX045L) or PHYX048C or (PHYX048 and PHYX048L) or PHYX053C (PHYX053 and PHYX053L)
FGCU Course: CHM 1046 General Chemistry II (3) and CHM 1046L General Chemistry II Lab (1)
Acceptable Substitute: CHMX045C or (CHMX045 and CHMX045L) or CHMX046C or (CHMX046 and CHMX046L) or PHYX048C or (PHYX048 and PHYX048L) or PHYX053C or (PHYX053 and PHYX053L) or PHYX049C or (PHYX049 and PHYX049L) or PHYX054C or (PHYX054 and PHYX054L)
FGCU Course: MAC 2311 Calculus I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MACX311 or MACX241
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses (53 credits)
EDF 3132 Adolescent Growth & Dev (3)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEX 4070 Integrat Except Stud in Gen Ed (3)
PCB 3023C Cell Biology (4)
PCB 3043C General Ecology (3)
PCB 3063C Genetics (4)
RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
SCE 4330 Science Methods 6-12 (3)
SCE 4940 Internship: Science Education (9)
SCE 4941 Integr Field Exper: Science (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur, and Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
ZOO 3713C Vertebrate Form and Function (3)
Restricted Electives (3-4 credits)
Select from the following with approval of the college academic advisor:
BSC 4933 Current Topics in Biology (1)
EVR 4024C Microbial Ecology (3)
PCB 3703C Human Physiology (4)
PCB 3673C Evolutionary Biology (3)
PCB 3723C Comparative Animal Physiology (3)
ZOO 3733C Human Anatomy (4)
Or upper division courses in molecular biology, cellular biology, organismal biology, or environmental studies.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Back to Previous Page