The B.A. in Secondary Social Science Education is designed to prepare students to teach mathematics in Florida in grades 6-12. The program of study includes course work in the social sciences as well as education, with extensive field experiences in secondary school settings in the FGCU five-county service area (Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, and Lee) to enable students to integrate learning theory with teaching practice.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a COE major. In order to transition from a COE pre-major to a major, students must complete the following:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
Students must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Level I Internship.
Students must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Level II Internship.
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete:
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See https://www.fgcu.edu/studentlife/servicelearning/
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/academics/undergraduatestudies/generaleducation/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
FGCU Course: AMH 2010 US History to 1877 (3)
Acceptable Substitute: AMHX010
FGCU Course: AMH 2020 US History Since 1877 (3)
Acceptable Substitute: AMHX020
FGCU Course: POS 2041 American Nat’l Government (3)
Acceptable Substitute: POSX041
FGCU Course: Any course with the prefix ANT, ECO, GEA, PSY, SYG
Acceptable Substitute: ANTXXXX or ECOXXXX or GEAXXXX or PSYXXXX or SYGXXXX
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses (45 credits)
EDF 3132 Adolescent Growth & Dev (3)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEX 4070 Integrat Except Stud in Gen Ed (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
SSE 4153 Social Science Methods 6-12 (3)
SSE 4940 Internship in Soc. Science Ed (9)
SSE 4941 Integr Field Exper:Soc Science (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur, and Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
WOH 1030 World Civilization since 1815 (3)
GEA 2000 Intro to Geography (3)
Restricted Electives (12 credits)
Select from the following with approval of the college academic advisor:
Upper level courses (3000-4999) from the social sciences disciplines (prefixes of AMH, ANT, ECO, HIS, POS, PSY, SOP, SYD, SYG, SYO, and SYP).
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Back to Previous Page