The B.A. in Special Education prepares students to earn certification in Exceptional Student Education, grades K - 12, which covers teaching children with emotional and behavioral disorders, developmental/intellectual disabilities, specific learning disabilities, and physical and health disabilities. Field experiences are central to the special education program and begin in the first semester with increasing involvement throughout the program.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a COE major. In order to transition from a COE pre-major to a major, students must complete the following:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
Students must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Level I Internship.
Students must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Level II Internship.
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete:
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. https://www.fgcu.edu/studentlife/servicelearning/
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/academics/undergraduatestudies/generaleducation/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each course and a GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses in the Major (57 credits)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4112 Child Growth and Development (3)
EDG 3323 Professional Teaching Practice (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEX 4050 Theories & Prac in Spec Educ (3)
EEX 4221 Educ Assess ofExceptional Stud (3)
EEX 4254 Tching Students w/Mild-Mod Dis (3)
EEX 4474 Tching Students Mod/Sev Disabil (3)
EEX 4604 BehavMgmt SpecNeed/AtRisk Stud (3)
EEX 4940 Internship: Special Ed (9)
EEX 4942 Integr Field Exper in Spec Ed (3)
MAE 4310 Math Content & Processes (3)
RED 4310 Early Literacy Learning (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
TSL 3080 Foundations of ESOL (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur, and Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Back to Previous Page