Construction management incorporates planning, coordinating and building skills to take a project from conception to completion. Construction Managers coordinate activities and work with a wide variety of professionals including architects, engineers, financial experts, suppliers and the public stakeholders. The Bachelor of Science in Construction Management (B.S.C.M.) emphasizes public and private, commercial and residential construction with a focus on sustainable construction methods. This program employs a team-based interdisciplinary learning philosophy. This approach provides students with knowledge for leadership in sustaining our world and with the critical thinking skills required for effective and innovative practice with particular emphasis on technologies needed to solve problems and deliver successful construction projects.
The Construction Management program in the U.A. Whitaker College of Engineering at Florida Gulf Coast University will produce graduates who:
- Pursue lifelong learning through continuing education and/or advanced degrees in construction management or related fields,
- Progress to professional certification, and/or licensure.
- Continue to develop professionally through participation in professional organizations and/or participation in professional development activities in the industry.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
Students admitted to Florida Gulf Coast University as a degree seeking student in good academic standing may declare a major in construction management. All construction management majors must satisfy the academic milestones as described in the student guidebook. Refer to the Construction Management (B.S.C.M.) Student Guidebook for further information on milestones.
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete:
- A minimum of 123 credits.
- At least 48 of the 123 credits at the upper division (3000 and higher) level.
- A minimum of 32 of the last 60 credits to be taken at FGCU, including 12 credits in the major. Also, BCN 4787 Const Capstone must be taken at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfaction of College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfaction of the Service Learning requirement. (www.fgcu.edu/connect/ )
- Satisfaction of the Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/) To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Program Prerequisites
For this major, common prerequisite courses with an asterisk (*) require prior knowledge and skills demonstrated through degree acceleration programs (e.g., the College Board's Advanced Placement Program [AP], International Baccalaureate Program [IB], College-Level Examination Program [CLEP], Advanced International Certificate of Education Program [AICE]); dual enrollment; placement exam; or college coursework.
FGCU Course: ACG 2021 Intro to Financial Acctg. (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: ACGX021 or ACGX024 or ACGX001
FGCU Course: BCN 1210C Construction Materials (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: BCNX210
FGCU Course: BCN 1251C Construction Drawing (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: BCNX251
FGCU Course: BCN 1930 Construction Seminar (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: BCNX930
FGCU Course: BCN 2405C Construction Mechanics (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: BCNX405C
FGCU Course: BUL 3130 Legal and Ethical Enviro of Bus (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: BULX320 or BULX241or BULX310
FGCU Course: ECO 2013 Principles of Macro Economics (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX013 or ECOX023
FGCU Course: GLY 2030C Environmental Geology (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: GLYX030C or (GLYX010 and GLYX010L) or GLY X010C
FGCU Course: MAC 1147* Precalculus (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: MACX147
FGCU Course: PHY 2053C* College Physics w/Lab I (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (PHYX053 and PHYX053L) or (PHYX053 and PHYX048L) or PHYX053C
FGCU Course: SPC 1608 Effective Speaking (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: SPCX608 or COMX000
FGCU Course: STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: STAX023
- Required Courses in the Major (57 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
BCN 3218C Construction Materials II (3)
BCN 3240C Construction Methods and Equip (3)
BCN 3255 Graphic Communication in Const (3)
BCN 3431C Structures for Const (3)
BCN 3521C Electrical Systems (3)
BCN 3590 Sustainable Approach to Const (3)
BCN 3611C Construction Estimating I (3)
BCN 4252 Building Information Modeling (3)
BCN 4423C Temporary Structures (3)
BCN 4510C Mechanical Systems (3)
BCN 4594 Building Energy Modeling (3)
BCN 4612C Estimating II (3)
BCN 4709C Const Project Management (3)
BCN 4720 Const Planning and Control (3)
BCN 4730 Construction Safety Health&Env (3)
BCN 4740 Construction Law & Contracts (3)
BCN 4753C Construction Finance (3)
BCN 4787 Const Capstone (3)
MAN 3025 Principles of Management (3)
- Restricted Electives in the Major (3 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
BCN 4095C Sustainable Systems Builders (3)
BCN 4935 Special Topics in Const (3)
BCN 4949 Internship in Const (3)
BCN 3385 Sustainable Design for Const (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives -as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 123
Back to Previous Page