The B.A. in Secondary Mathematics Education is designed to prepare students to teach mathematics in Florida in grades 6-12. The program of study includes course work in mathematics as well as education, with extensive field experiences in secondary school settings in the FGCU five-county service area (Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, and Lee) to enable students to integrate learning theory with teaching practice.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a COE major. In order to transition from a COE pre-major to a major, students must complete the following:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
Students must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Level I Internship.
Students must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Level II Internship.
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete:
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
FGCU Course: MAC 2311 Calculus I (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MACX311
FGCU Course: MAC 2312 Calculus II (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MACX312
FGCU Course: MAC 2313 Calculus III (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MACXXXX or MTGXXXX or MASXXXX
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each course and a GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses (51 credits)
EDF 3132 Adolescent Growth & Dev (3)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt in the Inclusive Classroom (3)
EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEX 4070 Integrat Except Stud in Gen Ed (3)
MAE 4152 Math Methods 6-12 (3)
MAE 4940 Internship: Mathematics Educ. (9)
MAE 4942 Integr Field Experience: Math (3)
MAP 2302 Differential Equations (3)
MAS 3105 Linear Algebra (3)
MHF 2191 Mathematical Foundations (3)
MHF 4404 History of Math (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur and Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
Restricted Electives* (6 credits)
Select from the following with approval of the college academic advisor:
MAA 4226 Analysis I (3)*
MAD 3107 Discrete Mathematics (3)
MAD 4401 Numerical Analysis (3)
MAP 3161 Math for Science & Engineering (4)
MAP 3162 Probability & Statistics (4)
MAP 3163 Operations Research I (3)
MAS 4301 Abstract Algebra I (3)*
MHF 4404 History of Math (3)
STA 3163 Applied Statistics (3)
STA 4234 Intro. to Regression Analysis (3)
*Recommended for candidates who may wish to pursue 18 graduate credits or more in math.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Back to Previous Page