The Health Science program is an interdisciplinary program designed to provide career advancement opportunities for entry level health profession practitioners as well as individuals that seek future careers in health care. The program is also recommended for students who are interested in a health profession at the post-baccalaureate level, such as Health Services Administration, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies and Occupational Therapy. All of the upper division coursework for this program is available by web based distance learning.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
For timely degree completion, students must complete appropriate milestones. Failure to meet milestone requirements may result in required major reselection. Refer to the Health Science Student Guidebook for further information on progression standards.
In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Apply for graduation by deadline indicated in the university calendar.
- Satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Complete at least 48 of the 120 credits must be in the upper division (3000 and higher).
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Earn a minimum grade of C for all Health Science major and restricted elective courses. A grade of C minus (C-) is considered less than a C.
- Complete all program requirements.
- At least 25% of coursework required for the degree and 30 of the last 60 hours must be earned at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
- Required Courses in the Major (30 credits)
HSA 3110 Prins of Health Services Admin (3)
HSA 3111 US Health Care Systems (3)
HSA 4191 Health Care Info Systems (3)
HSA 4340 HR Mgmt in Health Servcs Orgs. (3)
HSC 4500 Epidemiology (3)
IHS 3101 Shaping Hlthcare in 21st Cent. (3)
IHS 3112 Legal & Ethical Princ of HC (3)
IHS 3203 Mgmt. & Leadership in Hlthcare (3)
IHS 4504 Research Methods in HealthCare (3)
IHS 4938 Senior Seminar (3)
- Restricted Electives (15 credits)
GEY 3001 Introduction to Gerontology (3)
GEY 3601 Aging and Human Performance (3)
HSA 3150 Health Care Policy in US (3)
HSA 4170 Financial Mgt in Health Care (3)
HSA 4321 Health Insurance (3)
HSA 4502 Risk Mgmt in Health Services (3)
HSA 4817 Practicum in Health Serv Admin (3)
HSC 3133 Health and Human Sexuality (3)
HSC 3161 Genetics for Health Sciences (3)
HSC 3201 Healthy Communities (3)
HSC 3202 Introduction to Public Health (3)
HSC 3243 Teach & Learn in Health Profs (3)
HSC 3537 Medical Terminology (3)
HSC 3624 Global Health Systems & Issues (3)
HSC 3720 Health Persp & Assessment (3)
HSC 4150 Impacts of Substance Abuse (3)
HSC 4231 Client Ed in Health Care (3)
HSC 4250 Task Analys & Curr Dev in H P (3)
OTH 3417C Musculoskeletal Anatomy (3)
OTH 3429C Neuroanatomy & Function (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Back to Previous Page