The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program is designed to prepare graduates to excel in a diverse, rapidly changing, and technologically oriented society. Graduates are prepared to assume vital roles in the improvement of client health care outcomes. General education and state-mandated common prerequisites for nursing form the foundation of study for the major. The nursing curriculum is built upon the principles of critical thinking, communication, health promotion, cultural connectedness, and adherence to professional and ethical standards.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Florida Gulf Coast University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org)
Limited Access means that all students who meet minimum admission requirements may not be admitted due to space and other constraints. A competitive admissions process is conducted for this major. Students must be admitted to the University, and then submit a separate school of Nursing BSN supplemental application.
- Students are admitted to the BSN program fall and spring terms. Application materials must be received by February 1 for fall admission and May 15 for spring admission.
- All students must meet all BSN Program Admission Requirements as follows.
Program Admission Requirements
- Submit a FGCU Application for Admission and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Submit a completed School of Nursing supplemental application.
- Have and maintain, prior to full admission, a minimum overall GPA of at least 3.0 on all coursework attempted. Please Note: If the FGCU Degree Works audit shows a transfer GPA, it may not include grades for all courses at all institutions during your academic career. The School of Nursing calculates the transfer GPA for BSN admission purposes using all grades.
- Complete common prerequisites for nursing, with a grade of C or higher. Students who have not completed all required coursework at the time of application must include a plan for completion of the course(s) as part of the supplemental application. A final transcript documenting successful completion of the course(s) must be submitted to Undergraduate Admissions.
- Complete Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab and Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab prior to the application deadline.
- Completion of the Test of Essential Academic Skills Test (TEAS) prior to the BSN supplemental application deadline, with scores calculated for BSN Program applicants. The original (first-attempt) TEAS exam results must be submitted as part of the application.
- Applicants who have attended, but not completed, another registered nursing program must provide a letter of good standing from the Dean of the School of Nursing (or designee) that addresses the following: potential for success in a BSN program, safety in providing nursing care, interpersonal communication skills, and other information the director deems important. BSN applicants from an accredited baccalaureate BSN program must also submit course syllabi and topical outlines for all nursing courses to be evaluated for nursing equivalency.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
For timely degree completion, students must complete appropriate milestones. Failure to meet milestone requirements may result in required major reselection. Refer to the program website or BSN Student Guidebook for further information on milestones and progression standards.
- In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Satisfactorily complete a minimum of 124 credits, including 64 credits of upper division coursework.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Complete at least 31 of the last 64 credits at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See https://www2.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Satisfy School of Nursing NCLEX-RN Success Plan requirements.
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www2.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
For this major, common prerequisite courses with an asterisk (*) require prior knowledge and skills demonstrated through degree acceleration programs (e.g., the College Board's Advanced Placement Program [AP], International Baccalaureate Program [IB], College-Level Examination Program [CLEP], Advanced International Certificate of Education Program [AICE]); dual enrollment; placement exam; or college coursework.
FGCU Course: BSC 1085C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab I (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX085C or (BSCX085 and BSCX085L) or BSCX093C or (BSCX093 and BSCX093L)
FGCU Course: BSC 1086C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab II (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX086C or (BSCX086 and BSCX086L) or BSCX094C or (BSCX094 and BSCX094L)
FGCU Course: 3 credits in any chemistry, biochemistry, biology, genetics, or physics course. Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitutes: *CHMXXXX or BCHXXXX or BSCXXXX or PCBXXXX or PHYXXXX
(Note: At FGCU, CHM 1045 and CHM 1045L, Chemistry with lab (4 credits) is strongly recommended. Prerequisites of MAT 1033 minimum grade of C then MAC 1105 minimum grade of C; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam)
FGCU Course: *DEP 2004 Principles of Development (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitutes: DEPX004 or DEPX054 or DEPX000 or DEPX414
[Prerequisites of PSY 2012 minimum grade of C; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
FGCU Course: HSC 2577 Nutri Human Health & Wellness (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitutes: HUNX201 or NURX192
FGCU Course: *MCB 2010C Microbiology with Lab (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitutes: MCBX010C or (MCBX010 and MCBX010L) or MCBX013C or (MCBX013 and MCBX013L) or (MCBX000 and MCBX000L) or (MCBX004 and MCBX004L)
[Prerequisites of BSC 1010C minimum grade of C; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
FGCU Course: 3 credits in any psychology, social psychology, or sociology course. Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitutes: PSYXXXX or SOPXXXX or SYGXXXX
FGCU Course: *STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitutes: STAX014 or STAX023 or STAX122 or STAX022
[Prerequisites of MAT 1033 minimum grade of C; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
- Requirements in the Nursing Major (61 credits)
A minimum grade of C or S is required in each course.
NUR 3065C Health Assessment (3)
NUR 3125 Pathophysiology in Nursing (3)
NUR 3145 Pharmacology for Nursing (3)
NUR 3226 Adult Health Nursing I (3)
NUR 3226L Adult Health Nursing I Clinic (4)
NUR 3286 Gerontological Nursing (2)
NUR 3286L Gerontological Nursing Clinic (1)
NUR 3355 Child Health Nursing (2)
NUR 3355L Child Health Nursing Clinic (1)
NUR 3535 Mental Health Nursing (2)
NUR 3535L Mental Health Nursing Clinical (1)
NUR 3825 Intro to Professional Nursing (2)
NUR 3829C Foundations of Nsg Practice (4)
NUR 3833 Patient Care Manage in Nursing (3)
NUR 4169 Evidence-Based Nursing Prac (3)
NUR 4227 Adult Health Nursing II (3)
NUR 4227L Adult Health Nursing II Clinic (4)
NUR 4455 Reproductive Health Nursing (2)
NUR 4455L Reproductive Health Nurs Clinic (1)
NUR 4636 Community & Pub Health Nursing (3)
NUR 4636L Commun & Pub Hlth Nurs Clinic (2)
NUR 4295C Critical Care Nursing (3)
NUR 4948L Senior Nursing Practicum (3)
NUR 4165 Principles of Nursing Research (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 124
Back to Previous Page