Clinical Laboratory Science is designed for students who seek a Bachelor of Science degree, national certification, and Florida licensure as a clinical laboratory scientist. The post-baccalaureate certificate program in Clinical Laboratory Science is designed for students with baccalaureate degrees in the chemical or biological sciences who seek licensure/certification in clinical laboratory science. Your knowledge of the human body in health and disease is broadened in courses that include physiology, chemistry, human genetics, microbiology, transfusion medicine, immunology, hematology, and molecular diagnostics. Clinical experiences at community laboratories are integrated within the curriculum and enhance your growth as professionals. Graduates of this program have diverse skills for employment in a clinical or research setting. The CLS curriculum also serves as a solid preparation for medical, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, and graduate school.
The CLS program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018, 773-714-8880.
Program Admission Requirements
The BS in Clinical Laboratory Science program at FGCU has been designated as limited access. Consequently, the selection process is competitive and all qualified applicants may not be admitted to the program.
- Submit a FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet minimum university admission requirements are required from applicants who have earned their bachelor's degree outside the United States in a country where English is not the official language. This requirement is not limited to international students.
- Submission of a completed Clinical Laboratory Science supplemental application after completion of common prerequisites.
- Earn a grade of C or better (a grade of C- or less is not acceptable) in each common prerequisite course.
- Earn a minimum combined GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for all common prerequisite courses.
- Applicants must be admitted to FGCU and supplemental application materials must be received prior to the established deadline.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
For timely degree completion, students must complete appropriate milestones. Failure to meet milestone requirements may result in required major reselection. Refer to the program website or CLS Student Guidebook for further information on milestones and progression standards.
In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Earn a minimum of 123 semester credits with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on all course work attempted at FGCU.
- Earn, within the 123 total credits, a minimum of 48 credits at the upper division (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Earn a grade of C or above in all courses identified in Sections 2, 3, 4, and 5 below. A grade of C- does not satisfy the requirement of a minimum grade of C.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy service-learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Earn at least 25% of the coursework required for the degree and 30 of the last 60 hours at FGCU.
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education (https://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
For this major, common prerequisite courses with an asterisk (*) require prior knowledge and skills demonstrated through degree acceleration programs (e.g., the College Board's Advanced Placement Program [AP], International Baccalaureate Program [IB], College-Level Examination Program [CLEP], Advanced International Certificate of Education Program [AICE]); dual enrollment; placement exam; or college coursework.
FGCU Course: BSC 1010C Gen’l Biology w/Lab I (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX010C or (BSCX010 and BSCX010L) or BSCX011C or (BSCX011 and BSCX011L) or PCBX011C or (PCBX011 and PCBX011L) or PCBX013C or (PCBX013 and PCBX013L)
FGCU Course: BSC 1085C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab I (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX093C or (BSCX093 and BSCX093L) or BSCX085C or (BSCX085 and BSCX085L) or ZOOX733C or (ZOOX733 and ZOOX733L) or ZOOX731C or (ZOOX731 and ZOOX731L) or PCBX510C or (PCBX510 and PCBX510L)
FGCU Course: BSC 1086C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab II (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX094C or (BSCX094 and BSCX094L) or BSCX086C or (BSCX086 and BSCX086L) or PCBX703C or (PCBX703 and PCBX703L) or PCBX134C or (PCBX134 and PCBX134L)
FGCU Course: *CHM 1045 General Chemistry I (3) and CHM 1045L General Chemistry I Lab (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: CHMX045C or (CHMX045 and CHMX045L)
[Prerequisites of MAT 1033 minimum grade of C then MAC 1105 minimum grade of C; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
FGCU Course: CHM 1046 General Chemistry II (3) and CHM 1046L General Chemistry II Lab (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: CHMX046C or (CHMX046 and CHMX046L)
FGCU Course: CHM 2210 Organic Chemistry I (3) and CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I Laboratory (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: CHMX210C or (CHMX210 and CHMX210L)
FGCU Course: CHM 2211 Organic Chemistry II (3) and CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II Laborator (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: CHMX211C or (CHMX211 and CHMX211L)
FGCU Course: MCB 2010C Microbiology with Lab (4) or MCB 3020C General Microbiology (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: MCBX013Cor MCBX020C or (MCBX020 and MCBX020L) or (MCBX023 and MCBX023L) or MCBX010C or (MCBX010 and MCBX010L)
FGCU Course: *STA 2023 Statistical Methods (3) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: STAX014 or STAX023 or STAX024 or STAX321
[Prerequisites of MAT 1033 minimum grade of C; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
- Required Courses in the Major (60 credits)
Minimum grade of C (not C-) is required in each course.
BCH 3023C Biochemistry (3)
HSC 3161 Genetics for Health Sciences (3)
IHS 3101 Shaping Hlthcare in 21st Cent. (3)
IHS 3203 Mgmt. & Leadership in Hlthcare (3)
IHS 4504 Research Methods in HealthCare (3)
IHS 4938 Senior Seminar (3)
MLS 3038 Essentials of Clinical Lab Sci (3)
MLS 3220 Biological Fluid Analysis (2)
MLS 4191 Molecular Diagnostics (3)
MLS 4308 Hematology/Hemostasis (3)
MLS 4404 Diagnostic Microbiology (3)
MLS 4462 Diagnostic VMP (3)
MLS 4505 Clinical Immunology (2)
MLS 4550 Immunohematology & Transfusion (3)
MLS 4627 Clinical Biochemistry (3)
MLS 4820C Clinical Biochemistry Practicu (3)
MLS 4821C Clinical Microbiology Practicu (3)
MLS 4822C Clinical Hematology Practicum (3)
MLS 4823C Clinical Immunohematology Prac (3)
MLS 4826C Clinical Immunology Practicum (2)
PCB 4233C Immunology (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 123
Back to Previous Page