The PGA Golf Management (PGM) program is a 4 to 4 1/2 year structured academic program for aspiring PGA Professionals. Florida Gulf Coast University is one of only 18 schools nationally accredited by the PGA, and the only one in the state of Florida. The program is designed to provide the skills and knowledge base necessary for future golf professionals to succeed in a wide variety of management positions within the industry. A primary requirement for students is the completion of 16 months paid internship under the direction of the PGM Internship Director. These work experiences can occur in diverse golf industry settings throughout the country. Some of the areas of study in the program include: business planning, turfgrass management, golf facility operations, golf merchandising, human resources management and three distinct golf instruction classes focused on teaching the game, club-fitting, using state-of the-art instructional technology and developing a teaching business. Students completing the Florida Gulf Coast University PGM Program will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in PGA Golf Management. Upon graduation and securing eligible full-time employment, students can be elected to Class A PGA Membership.
Located in southwest Florida, the FGCU PGM program boasts one of the most desired geographical locations in the country with over 135 courses within an hour of campus. It also serves a local industry employment need. FGCU PGM students have the opportunity to work part-time, intern, and play at some of the most exclusive facilities in the country. Students benefit from 300+ local PGA professionals, many of which, provide formal mentorship and lend their expertise in the classroom.
Program Admission Requirements
PGA Golf Management is a limited access program and qualified students are normally admitted in the fall semester. A spring semester start is contingent upon a consultation with the Program Director and completion of external PGA requirements. Admission decisions are based on materials and coursework completed at the time of application and receipt of the PGA Golf Management Limited Access Application/Golf Handicap Verification Form found on our webpage. Completed PGM Limited Access Application materials should be sent directly to the PGM office.
- Submit a FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Submit a PGM Limited Access/Handicap Verification Program Application form directly to the PGA Golf Management Program office.
- Provide proof of playing proficiency to a 12 or lower USGA Handicap to the PGA Golf Management Program office. Verification must be provided in one of the following forms:
(a) Valid USGA Handicap Card
(b) Letter/signature from a PGA Class A Professional in good standing
(c) Letter/signature of playing ability from a high school golf coach with a transcript of 8 school scores
(d) Pass the PGA Playing Ability Test (PAT) less than two (2) years prior to your intended start in the program.
- The Handicap Verification Form may be submitted to PGM office any time prior to your admissions decision, but must be received to be accepted in the program.
Non-U.S. Citizens: International students must complete the admissions process through the International Office at FGCU. Students can complete the degree requirements, however election to PGA Membership requires US Citizenship or Resident Alien status. For further information, please consult with the Program Director.
Transfer students: Transfer students are encouraged to apply. A spring semester start requires consultation with the Program Director and successful completion of external PGA requirements. Please contact the PGM office for additional information: 239-590-7719.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits with at least 48 hours at the upper division (3000-4000 level).
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Complete common prerequisites with a grade of C or higher.
- At least 30 of the last 60 credits must be earned at FGCU.
- Satisfy college-level skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy the FGCU summer enrollment requirement.
- Satisfy the service learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Successfully complete all elements of the PGA Golf Mangement Program:
- PGA Knowledge Testing
- PGA Work Experience Portfolio requirements
- PGA Seminar Attendance (all 3 levels)
- PGA Final Experience
- Complete a minimum of 16 months paid internship.
- Pass the PGA of America Playing Ability Test.
- For those who apply for PGA Membership, a background check must be completed and US Citizenship or Resident Alien status must be verified.
- Consult with college advising or PGM director for additional details.
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www2.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: HFT 1000 Introduction to Hospitality/Tourism (3)
Acceptable Substitute: HFTX000
- Required Courses in the Major (45 credits)
HFT 1382 Intro to Golf Management (3)
HFT 2352 Player Development (1) - Minimum grade of B or higher is required
HFT 3353 Golf Facility Operations (3)
HFT 3404 Resort & Hosp Financial Acct (3)
HFT 3670 R&H Law ,Legal Issues & Risk Mgmt (3)
HFT 3948 PGA PGM Internship I (6) - Minimum grade of C or higher is required.
HFT 4381 Golf Executive Management (3)
HFT 4934 PGM Senior Seminar (3)
HFT 4948 PGA PGM Internship II (5) - Minimum grade of C or higher is required.
ORH 2220C Turfgrass Management Operations (3)
PEL 3120 PGA Prep 1 (3)
PEL 3125 PGA Prep 2 (3)
PEL 4126 Golf Practicum (3)
PEO 3124 Golf Instructional Operations (3)
- Electives in the Major (9 credits)
Select 3 credits from the following:
ECO 2013 Princ of Macro Economics (3)
ECO 2023 Princ of Micro Economics (3)
Select 6 credits from the following:
PEL 3930 Special Topics: PGA Golf Mgt. (3)
PEL 4906 PGA PGM Directed Study (3)
or Courses numbered 3000-4999 with an ACG, BUL, FSS, GEB, HFT, ISM, MAN or MAR prefix. Other related courses may be considered (see college academic advisor).
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Back to Previous Page