The BSW Program prepares students for strengths-based generalist professional practice that teaches students to assist individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities to identify their strengths and solve problems. Graduates will be equipped to work in a variety of public, nonprofit, and proprietary human service agencies. This upper division undergraduate program is designed to mesh both with community college associate degrees and the General Education Program at FGCU. In the junior and senior years, students will develop a core set of skills in case management, information and referral, and community organization which can be used in a variety of practice settings. Graduates are prepared for advanced study if they want to pursue a graduate degree. Those choosing to enter a MSW program must do so within 5 years of completing the BSW program. Those choosing to enter the MSW program at FGCU must do so within 5 years of completing the BSW program.
The Department of Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), 1701 Duke Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, Virginia 22314: Telephone number 703-683-8080; Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
- Attain junior status by date of transitional admission form (June 1) for permission to register for upper division coursework.
- Must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.0
- Submit a B.S.W. transitional admission form by June 1 of your second year. This application is available on the BSW website and is to include:
- Application form
- Self-Disclosure Statement
- Legal disclosure statement
- Three (3) Letters of Reference (submit a reference form for each reference)
- Personal Statement
- NASW Code of Ethics essay
- Transcripts from each college or university attended including FGCU
- Complete all general education program requirements.
- Complete three of the five common prerequisite courses with a grade of B- or better.
- Student must be in good academic standing.
For timely degree completion, students must complete appropriate milestones. Failure to meet milestone requirements may result in required major reselection. Refer to the program website or BSW Student Guidebook for further information on milestones and progression standards.
In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.5 for all core social work coursework.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Complete at least 48 of the 120 credits in the upper division (3000 and higher).
- Complete at least 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
FGCU General Education Program (https://www2.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course, except three of the five common prerequisite courses require a minimum grade of B-.
FGCU Course: POS 2041 American Nat’l Government (3)
Acceptable Substitute: POSX041 or POSX042 or PUPX099
FGCU Course: BSC 1005 Biological Science (3) or BSC 1085C Hum Anat & Physio w/Lab I (4) or BSC 1010 General Biology I (3)
Acceptable Substitute: BSCX005 or BSCX085 or BSCX010 or PCBX099
FGCU Course: ECO 1000 Survey of Economics (3) or ECO 2013 Princ of Macro Economics (3) or ECO 2023 Princ of Micro Economics
Acceptable Substitute: ECOX000 or ECOX023 or ECOX013
FGCU Course: PSY 2012 General Psychology (3)
Acceptable Substitute: PSYX012 or PSYX020
FGCU Course: SYG 2000 Intro to Sociology (3) or SYG 2010 Social Problems (3)
Acceptable Substitute: SYGX000 or SYGX010
- Required Core Courses (42 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
SOW 2031 Introduction to Social Work (3)
SOW 3101 HBSE I (3)
SOW 3102 HBSE II (3)
SOW 3232 Social Policy (3)
SOW 3300 Practice I (3)
SOW 3322 Practice II: Groups (3)
SOW 4060 BSW Field Education I (6)
SOW 4061 BSW Field Education II (6)
SOW 4332 Practice III (3)
SOW 4401 Social Work Research (3)
SOW 4521 BSW Field Seminar (3)
SOW 4522 BSW Integrative Senior Seminar (3)
- Electives in the Major (6 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
SOW 4194 Inter-relational Violence (3)
SOW 4274 International Social Work (3)
SOW 4601 Issues in Health/Mental Health (3)
SOW 4643 Issues in Aging (3)
SOW 4650 Child Abuse (3)
SOW 4617 Trauma-Informed Care (3)
SOW 4676 Loss and Bereavement (3)
SOW 4677 Vulnerable Populations (3)
SOW 4702 Chemical Dependency (3)
SOW 4724 Child Welfare (3)
SOW 4783 Human Trafficking (3)
SOW 4791 SW Practice with Latinos/as (3)
SOW 4901 Independent Study (3)
SOW 4930 Special Topics in Social Work (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
Back to Previous Page