Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
Lutgert College of Business

Lutgert College of Business

COB Handbook - Grades


LCOB Grading Policy

Change of Grade by Instructor (LCOB)

If it is necessary to change a student’s grade after the grade has been posted to the transcript, the Change of Grade form must be completed, and approved by the Director of Enrolment Management and Retention/Associate Dean, and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

A request for a change of grade will be considered only during the term immediately following the term in which the grade was assigned. Grades assigned during the spring semester may be changed during the following summer and fall terms. The dean (or his/her designee) of the college offering the course must approve grade changes. Exceptions to the time limitation may be approved by the college dean with supporting justification attached to the Change of Grade form.

Grades will not be changed after a degree or certificate has been awarded. For grade appeal procedures, refer to the Student Guidebook.

The Instructor must follow these steps:

  • Ask the LCOB Student Affairs Office Secretary for the Change of Grade form
  • Fill out the information required
  • Sign and date the form
  • Return the Form to the LCOB Student Affairs Office Secretary

Grade Rosters
Grade Rosters will be available any time on Gulfline (see the Gulfline Guide) for faculty via their Web accounts.

  • A "W" in the grade column indicates that the student has withdrawn from the course.
  • An "X" in this column indicates the student is auditing the course and thus gets no grade.

NOTE: It is each faculty’s responsibility to view their class rosters on Gulfline (see the Gulfline Guide)
At the end of the Drop/Add period, it is recommended that you confirm your class roster by visiting Gulfline.

Students attending class but who are not listed on this class roster should be advised to contact the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible to solve the registration problem.


Midterm and Final Grades
Faculty may post Midterm Grades and must post Final Grades on-line on Gulfline.

A final grade of NR will be posted for grades not reported by the instructor. A Change of Grade form must be completed to remove the NR.  A NR grade will be converted to an F if a grade is not reported to the Office of the Registrar at the end of the following semester.

A student who registers for a course but fails to meet the course requirements without officially dropping the course, will receive a grade of F in the course.  Faculty must enter the final date a student attended class (or submitted work if that is not available) for any student receiving an “F” at the end of the semester.

Final Grades will not be mailed to the student by the university. Grades are available on FGCU's Gulfline.

“Incomplete”  Grades
An "I" grade assigned by an instructor indicates that a student has not completed a limited portion of the required course work due to extenuating, unforeseen circumstances (e.g. one assignment or exam due to illness or personal emergency). An "I" grade is not computed in a student's GPA for either an undergraduate or graduate student. To initiate consideration for an "I" grade, a student contacts the instructor before grades are reported. Should a professor decide to assign an "I" grade, both the student and the instructor must complete an Incomplete Agreement Form that includes a description of the work to be completed and a deadline for its completion. A copy of this form must be sent to the LCOB Student Affairs Office to be placed in the student’s College advising file. The maximum amount of time allotted to complete the course work and remove an "I" grade is one year from the semester ending date that the "I" grade was assigned. After one year, the "I" grade will be changed to an "F", if the instructor has not reported a change of grade. A student will not be permitted to re-register for a course in which he or she currently has an "I'' grade.

Plus and Minus Grades
Faculty may assign plus and minus grades.  See the FGCU Grading System for definitions. 

NOTE: LCOB requires a grade of “C” (not C-) or higher for all undergraduate business courses. At the graduate level, students earning lower than a “C” will receive an “F” grade.

The grades of D+, D, and D- while considered passing for undergraduate students may not be acceptable for some courses (see Degree Program Requirements). Earned credit hours are not assigned in courses with grades of F (Failure), I (Incomplete), U (Unsatisfactory), W (Withdrawal without academic penalty), WF (Withdrawal with academic penalty), X (Audit) above), and Z (Thesis/Dissertation Continuation).
Grades earned at other institutions will be converted to a grade of T (transfer grade) and not calculated in the Florida Gulf Coast University GPA.

Releasing Student Grades

It is critical to protect the privacy of each student's course grade (s) and performance.  Grades should not be posted by the faculty on their office or classroom door in alphabetical or Social Security Number.

With a student's written permission, ungraded reports may be placed in an open office area or used for future student research.

Graded course exams, papers or projects, which reveal grades, are not to be placed in any open office area, whereby students may readily scan each other's performance.  Copies of exams, papers or projects provided as documentation for assessment  purposes should have the student’s name removed.

Course exams, papers or projects should be maintained by the course instructor for at least one semester to allow for the possibility of student appeals. After that period, instructor must properly destroy and dispose of these documents.

Because grades are available to all students on Gulfline, FGCU does not mail final grades reports. Students who require written verification of their grades should contact the Office of the Registrar. Grades are available for student access on Gulfline (see the Gulfline Guide).

Secretarial and office staff can NOT provide any grades or course performance information to any person-students, family members, etc, over the telephone or face to face.  If a student is having difficulty obtaining this information, the student is to be referred to a College Advisor.


FERPA and University Employee Responsibilities
FERPA stands for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (Buckley Amendment) of 1974. It deals with academic records, including rights and responsibilities of students, faculty, and the University.  For a complete explanation of FERPA, see the Registrar's Website.