Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
FGCU International Services

FGCU International Services

International Travel Resources


Passports-All international travelers should have a passport issued by their home country’s government.  Some countries (including the US) are now requiring passports to be Machine Readable (MRP).   For information on US passports, fees and applications please visit:  

If you are a citizen of a country other than the US, you must contact your home government for information on passports (refer to the Embassies & Consulates section below). 

Visas- Visas are permits to enter a country and are granted by the destination country government based on the visitor’s intended purpose, length of stay, citizenship and other factors.  Be sure to determine if a visa is needed to enter each country to which you plan to travel.  For information on visas please read the Embassies & Consulates section below. 

Travel Information and Warnings- The US Department of State publishes Travel Information and Travel Warnings they deem are useful to US citizens traveling or living abroad.  You may want to read these to gain more information in developing programs abroad and as you travel abroad.  For travel information and warnings please visit:

Embassies & Consulates- Many countries have embassies or consulates in various locations around the world.  Embassies represent foreign governments in the host country and are the center of official diplomatic relations between the host country and the respective embassy’s country.  Visa applications are processed through foreign embassies, often through a consulate office or unit.  These embassies can advise you of their visa requirements and application process, as well as many other informative resources.  For a list of foreign embassies in the US view: 

When traveling abroad you may want to register on arrival with the US Embassy/ Consulate in the foreign country to which you travel, to advise them of your presence there (especially if you are leading a university sponsored program).  The US Embassies provide assistance to US citizens abroad, and may be a critical resource to you, and others in the US, in an emergency and provide useful information and resources as a foreign national traveling outside the US. US Embassies and Consulates can be found at:

Emergencies Abroad- One resource available to US citizens traveling abroad is the US Embassy and services of the US Department of State.  Prior to your travel you should become familiar with the services available, the location of US Embassies and consulates abroad and how to contact them.  It is also important for you to leave this same information with a contact person back home while you are abroad.

Other helpful information available at: