Central Receiving is responsible for most shipments to and from the University.
Central Receiving utilizes a Smart Track tracking system making virtually all incoming packages traceable from the moment they're received until the moment they're signed for by the recipient.
Central Receiving arranges departmental pick-up for outgoing shipments large and small, providing an accurate, cost-efficient means for shipping.
Central Receiving assists the University's Property Department in assuring all incoming assets are properly recorded.
The Physical Plant Warehouse provides storage for shipments received by the University prior to distribution and for surplus property prior to recycling or disposal.
The Warehouse takes possession of property that departments no longer use, but still has a useful life and makes it available to the University community at large.
The Warehouse provides space for temporary storage during renovation or while facilities are being prepared for use.
Physical Plant Postal Services is solely responsible for the handling of all United States mail, interoffice, outgoing, and courier mail. Postal Services is dedicated to serving the University community with prompt, efficient service to insure that all mail is sorted and delivered daily in a timely manner.
Please notify the Postal Supervisor of any changes within your college/department that would have any effect on mail delivery, including delivery location. Indicate the changes that need to be made, along with the effective date of the change and your contact information.
- All incoming mail is sorted and delivered to its appropriate location by department twice daily.
- It is the department's responsibility to route all interdepartmental mail received.
- Any outgoing mail must be accompanied with a blue postal card that contains the departmental bar code.
- All mail will be metered according to bar code on the blue postal card. All departmental bard codes are kept confidential by Postal Services.
- Postage usage for outgoing mail includes postage due, undeliverable addressed mail, and business reply mail are charged back to the appropriate departments on a monthly basis through expense reimbursements.
- Outgoing mail is picked up by Postal Services twice daily, and the pickup deadline for outgoing mail is at 2:30 P.M. Monday through Friday.
- If the pick-up deadline is missed, outgoing mail expected to be sent out the same day may be hand-delivered to Postal Services no later than 4:00 P.M. Please call Postal Services at 590-1320 or 590-1319 to make arrangements.
- If a department is expecting a large mailout, see the information below for "Special Mailings".
- Identify interoffice mail by the employee's name and department, not the building or room number.
- Mail addressed to FGCU should use the interoffice mail system, and not go out for postage.
- Interoffice mail is collected from various locations according to the mail schedule, and distributed into the internal mail system and handled the same as all the other departmental mail.
- To avoid delays with delivery of interoffice mail, it would be ideal for departments to hand deliver interoffice mail when it is address within the same building, especially if it is time-sensitive.
- Never put money through interoffice mail.
- Advance notice is needed to effectively handle and process large or specialized mailings. Contact the Postal Supervisor, or call 590-1320 or 590-1319 prior to starting any large or special mailouts.
- Large mailings are normally 1,000 or more pieces.
- Postal Services is not responsible for the sorting or preparation of any bulk mail, but is responsible for funding and tracking. Therefore, Postal Services requires notification that a bulk mailing is being planned. Contact the Postal Supervisor before any bulk mailings are printed, and he will provide you with the necessary permit number for mailing.
- Outgoing personal mail is handled along with University mail but separated from mail needing postage.
- Postal Services cannot apply metered postage to personal mail but will assist you in determining the correct amount.
- Be sure to include a return address on all your personal mail.
- The University should not receive incoming personal correspondence unless you reside on campus.
- Postage usage, postage due, business reply, bulk mail, and undeliverable addressed mail are charged back on a monthly basis through expense reimbursements.
University items are shipped through Federal Express. All items shipped must be accompanied with a shipping form. A link to the shipping form is provided below.
NOTE: Items cannot be shipped to a PO Box, and all forms must contain a valid phone number.
Download the shipping form [Microsoft Word-18.1 kb]
Contact the Postal Services Main Line (239) 590-1320 with any Shipping or Postal questions