Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
Office of the Registrar

Office of the Registrar

Veterans Information

veterans Program
Read article or view/print flyer

Veterans Assistance

The Office of the Registrar is available to assist veterans eligible for any of the educational benefit programs administered by the Veterans Administration. Students who believe that they are eligible for benefits may receive assistance in applying for them through this office. Students requesting VA Benefits should download, complete and forward the VA Benefits Request Form to:

Office of the Registrar
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd. South
Ft. Myers, FL 33965-6565 

FGCU VA Handbook

Phone: (239) 590-7914 or (239) 590-7980 
Fax: (239) 590-7983


Important Information

  • Veterans' Priority Registration Dates - CLICK HERE
  • To complete the Veteran's Satisfaction Survey - CLICK HERE
  • To apply for V.A. Non-Resident Tuition Fee Waiver - CLICK HERE 
  • Education Call Center Now Open Monday Through Friday
    • Effective immediately, VA's Education Call Center is now open Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm Central Time.  Please contact us at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) with any inquiries.
  • Not yet signed up for benefits: 
    • Before applying for Education benefits, review your options:
    • Active Duty Service Members, Reservists utilizing Tuition Assistance (TA) or National Guard utilizing Education Duty for Dollars (EDD state waiver), must speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service/ Unit prior to enrolling to Florida Gulf Coast University.
  • Checklist for Prospective Veteran Students:


  • Remember that the Post-9/11 GI Bill housing and books and supplies stipends are paid "in arrears."  This means that your housing stipend for January won't be received until February.  Also, if you are starting school for the first time, your first payment may not be for a full month of housing because we pay from the actual day you start school.  So, if you start January 8th, your February payment will be for 23 days you attended in January.

  • Get to know your VA School Certifying Official (SCO).  FGCU's VA SCO can be located at the Office of the Registrar (hint: check with the Financial Aid Department or Registrar at other schools).  They certify your actual enrollment (that's what triggers your payments).  We've noticed some schools wait until the drop/add period is over to certify your enrollment, so check out the policy for your school.

  • VA will need two things:
    • Your Application (VA Form 22-1990 or 22-1990E) - Submitted by you through VONAPP
    • Your Certificate of Enrollment (VA Form 22-1999) - Submitted by your school
  • Remember: The sooner you get these documents to VA, the sooner VA can begin processing your claim.

Types of Programs, Eligibility and Benefits:

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.
  • Montgomery G.I. Bill (Chapter 30) - First entered active duty July 1, 1985, or later and completed initial obligated period of active duty of 2 years  or more or who completed 2 years of active duty and enters the selective reserve for 4 or more years.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)- Must have a service connected disability rated at 20 percent or more which causes a demonstrable employment handicap.
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32)- Served on active duty for at least 181 continuous days and enlisted for the first time between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1989 inclusive and signed up prior to April 1, 1987.
  • Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)- Spouse and/or child of a veteran with permanent and total service connected disability; or whose death was service connected; or who died of any cause while rated as having a permanent and total service connected disability.
  • Educational Assistance for the Selected Reserve (1606)- Enlisted Personnel: enlisted, re-insisted, or extended enlistment for a 6 year period after June 30, 1995. Officer: added 6 years to current obligation after June 30, 1985.
  • REAP - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607) - This benefit is for Guard/Reservist and Coast Guard who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10 U.S. Code (Reserves), section 502(f) (National Guard) or title 32 U.S.C. (Coast Guard) for a contingency operation and who served at least 90 consecutive days or more. DOD will determine eligibility.
  • Scholarships for Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans or Children of Servicemen Classified as Prisoners of War or Missing in Action- The Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans and Service members (CSDDV) provides scholarships for dependent children or un-remarried spouses of Florida veterans or service members who died as a result of service-connected injuries, diseases, or disabilities sustained while on active duty or who have been verified by the Florida Department of Veterans' Affairs as having service-connected 100% permanent and total disability.
  • Tuition and fee waiver for recipients of the Purple Heart or other superior combat decorations who meet stated qualifications.

    • Senate Bill 122 was signed into law June 20, 2006, effective July 1, 2006. This legislation, which amended Florida Statute 1009.26, took effect at the beginning of the 2006-2007 academic year, and provided a fee waiver to recipients of the Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence if the recipient is enrolling in a Florida public community college or state university, and provided he or she meets specific criteria:

      • 1 - Admitted as a full-time, part-time, or summer-school student in an undergraduate program of study leading to a degree or certificate;
      • 2 - Is currently, and was at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the Purple Heart or other superior combat decoration, a resident of Florida; and
      • 3 - Submits to the university Department of Defense Form 214 (DD-214), issued at the time of separation from service, as documentation that he or she has received a Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence.

    • This waiver is applicable for 110 percent of he number of required credit hours of the degree or certificate program for which the student is enrolled.
    • The combat decorations that would qualify students for the provisions of this waiver include:
      • Purple Heart
      • Bronze Star (must be "V" designation or device)
      • Distinguished Flying Cross
      • Legion of Merit (must be "V" designation or device)
      • Silver Star
      • Air Force Cross
      • Navy Cross
      • Distinguished Service Cross
      • Medal of Honor 
    • To be considered a "combat decoration superior in precedence to the Purple Heart," the Bronze Star and the Legion of Merit must include the "V" designation or device.

Veterans who plan to attend FGCU should apply to the University early and contact the Office of the Registrar early. Students can expect a possible delay of 60 days before receipt of benefits for their first term of enrollment.

Students will also need to contact the Registrar's Office VA Representative when they register each semester if their semester hours change.

The Registrar's Office certifies school attendance to the Veterans Administration office in accordance with the following:

Veteran Attendance





12 hours or more

9 hours or more


9 to 11 hours

6 to 8 hours


6 to 8 hours

4 to 5 hours

Less than Half-time

1 to 5 hours

1 to 3 hours


VA Work-Study

Recipients of veterans’ benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) and Veterans Educational Assistance Program, who are attending school at least 3/4 time, may be eligible for VA work-study positions. For more information contact the Registrar's Office.

For further information on VA educational benefits, go to the VA website:

References for Veterans - This is a .pdf document listing a variety of VA websites to be used as a reference.