Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
University Police Department

University Police Department

Complaint Resoluion


The Department of Public Safety and Police at Florida Gulf Coast University believes that its members have a responsibility to the community.  This responsibility not only includes the enforcement of law, but maintaining professionalism at all times. This standard of professionalism should be adhered to by all employees to maintain the respect, confidence and cooperation of the community.

The Department of Public Safety and Police recognizes the rights of private citizens and also acknowledges that the University Police Employees must be free to exercise their best judgment in taking necessary and reasonable action in the performance of their duties without fear of reprisal.

Specific complaint procedures have been developed and adopted by the Department of Public Safety and Police to ensure that fair and proper action is taken when an employee is accused of misconduct. This also protects employees from unwarranted or false accusations. Additionally, this system provides a means of identifying and correcting deficiencies in policies, procedures, supervision, and/or training.

What things can a complaint or a concern be filed about?

  • The complaint resolution process was established to identify alleged unprofessional or misconduct by Police Department employees. This encompasses violations of laws or Police Department rules and regulations. A disagreement with a policy or law, or the application of a policy or law is not considered a complaint, and will normally be referred to the supervisor most directly involved with the policy or law in question for response and/or resolution.
  • Other than those complaints, which are immediately resolved, every complaint of misconduct by an employee will be investigated.

How does the complaint process work?

  • Upon receipt of a complaint, the Director will send the complainant a letter acknowledging receipt of the complaint. An investigator will be assigned and the investigator may conduct a preliminary inquiry by telephone, mail or in person to clarify specific issues.
  • Complaints of a non-criminal nature will generally be assigned to the employee's supervisor. More serious or complex matters will normally be investigated by the Internal Affairs Division.
  • The Investigators will attempt to contact the complainant, the accused employee, and witnesses; examine physical evidence; review reports and records; and thoroughly document the facts surrounding the incident.
  • The Investigator's report will be submitted to Director/Chief of Police upon completion.
  • Disciplinary action will be initiated when appropriate. In some cases, counseling may be recommended.

Who can file a complaint?

Any University employee, student or citzen may file a complaint.  Im most case the individual who has been affected by the employee's conduct should be the person to complain.  The exception to this would be a parent filing a complaint for a minor child or other similar circumstances.

How can I file a complaint?

Initial complaints may be made in person, in writing, or by telephone. However, every attempt shall be made by the department to have the complainant reduce the complaint to writing and have it signed under oath. Complaints should concisely and specifically describe the conduct of the employeethat was found to be improper. Rather than say the employee was unprofessional or rude, by providing the specific words or phrases, describing the employee's tone of voice, orciting specific acts of unprofessionalism. Identify the employee as much as possible. This can be accomplished by providing the employee's name, and/or badge number, patrol vehicle number, and the date, time and location of the incident. If available, include the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of all witnesses.

Who should the complaint be made too?

All Department employees are required to accept complaints, if no supervisor is immediately available to do so. Most complaints are directed to the supervisor on duty, or to the Internal Affairs Division.

When can I file a complaint?

Please call 239-590-1900 at any time 24 hours per day 7 days per week to make a complaint.

Additionally, please make complaints within a reasonable time after the alleged misconduct occurred to help ensure evidence is still available and recollections of the incident are fresh.

Will filing a complaint affect current or future charges against me?

No, any criminal charges or legal issues must be decided by the appropriate court. The investigation of your complaint will focus on the employee's conduct, not on any pending charges against the complainant.

Can I file an anonymous complaint?

Supervisors are assigned to conduct an inquiry, when an anonymous complaint is received, to determine if any basis exists for the complaint; however, inquiries are less likely to reveal all the facts surrounding an alleged incident, when the investigator is deprived of the opportunity to contact the complainant.  As such we strongly encourage persons having legitimate concerns to sign the complaint form and fully cooperate with the Investigating Officer.

If I file a false complaint can I be charged?

Yes, The penalty for making a false statement is a $500 fine or imprisonment not exceeding 60 days