Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
University Police Department

University Police Department

Rape or Sexual Assault


What to do if you are raped or sexually assaulted

  • Get medical attention immediately. The primary purpose of a medical examination following a rape is to check for injuries and the presence of sexually transmitted diseases or pregnancy (as a result of the rape). The secondary purpose of an examination is to aid the police investigation and legal proceedings through the recovery of evidence.
  • Don’t bathe, douche or brush your teeth. Bathing or douching (brushing your teeth if oral sex is involved) is understandably the first thing you might what to do but don’t. You might literally be washing away valuable evidence. Wait until after the medical examination.
  • Save your clothing. It’s okay to change your clothes but save what you were wearing. Your clothing could also be valuable evidence. Place each item of clothing into separate paper bags if possible; if not, a single large bag will do.
  • Report the incident to the police. You can also report the incident to the Dean of Students in the Cohen Center.   It is up to you, but reporting a rape is not the same as prosecuting a rape. Rapists, even acquaintance rapists, are often repeat offenders. Law enforcement can only apprehend offenders when they know about the crime.
  • “If you are the victim of a sexual assault and decide not to notify law enforcement, it is still important that you seek medical attention and contact a victim support resource.”

Victim Support Resources

Off Campus

Abuse Counseling and Treatment (ACT)-A hotline counselor can speak to you about options, assist you in making a safety plan, identify resources and assist you in making an appointment for counseling. ALL SERVICES ARE FREE. 24hr hotline 239-590-7950 (hotline may be accessed while on or off campus)

Project Help (Collier County)-The Hotline offers immediate crisis intervention, information, and referral services. 24hr hotline 239-262-7227 (hotline may be accessed while on or off campus)

On Campus

FGCU’s Counseling and Psychological Services Office (CAPS) provides free confidential personal, emotional, and behavioral support services to all students dealing with trauma or victimization. CAPS can be reached at 239-590-7950 24hrs a day.

FGCU’s Student Affairs Case Manager- Available to students who have been a victim of a crime. The Student Affairs Case Manager can provide student victims with their reporting options and assist in navigating campus and local processes. The Student Affairs Case Manager may work with University officials to address students concerns related to personal safety and connect student with internal and external resources. For more information, contact Lauren Strunk at 239-590-1866 or email at

FGCU’s Student Health Services (SHS)- Student Health Services (SHS) does not perform forensic rape exams. However, SHS does offer testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections and Plan B emergency contraception. SHS can also direct you to other campus resources. SHS is located at the Wellness Center and can be contacted at (239) 590-7966.

Dean of Students (DOS) Cohen Center- The Dean of Students can provide an overview of the student conduct process if the accused is a student at FGCU.  You are encouraged to report so that we can look into the incident and do what we can to ensure this does not happen again to anyone else. The Dean will also provide information and resources available to assist you.  DOS is located in the Cohen Center, room 288 and can be contacted at (239)-590-7900.

Director of Equity, Ethis, Complaince, and Title IX Coordinator: Precious Gunter, (239) 745-4366,

Contact the Coordinator if you:

  1. Wish to understand your options if you think you may have encountered sex discrimination or sexual misconduct;
  2. Learn of a situation that you feel may warrant a University investigation;
  3. Need help on how to handle a situation by which you are indirectly affected;
  4. Seek guidance on possible informal remedies or administrative measures to de-escalate or alleviate a difficult situation;
  5. Have questions about FGCU’s policies and procedures.