Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
Office of Undergraduate Studies

Office of Undergraduate Studies

Incomplete Grade Request


To initiate consideration for a grade of incomplete (I), a student must contact the instructor before grades are reported. An incomplete grade indicates that a student has not completed a limited portion of the course due to extenuating, unforeseen circumstances (i.e. missing one assignment or exam due to illness or personal emergency). The decision to award a grade of incomplete is solely the decision of the instructor. Should an instructor decide to assign an incomplete grade, both the student and the instructor must complete and retain a copy of an Incomplete Grade Agreement Form. The maximum amount of time to complete coursework to remove a grade of incomplete is one year from the ending date of the semester for which the grade was assigned or graduation, whichever comes first; however, instructors may restrict the amount of time given to the student to complete the coursework. After one year, a grade of incomplete will be changed to a failing grade (F) if the instructor has not reported a grade. A student may not re-register for a course in which he or she currently has an incomplete grade. Once an incomplete grade has converted to a failing grade, the grade may not be converted back to an incomplete grade or to a regular grade.

 Link to Incomplete Grade Agreement Form: (Click here)