The Music Therapy Program is approved by the American Music Therapy Association (8455 Colesville Road, Suite 1000, Silver Spring MD 20910, Phone: 301.589.3300 Fax: 301.589.5175). (http://www.musictherapy.org/)
The Bachelor of Music Therapy program prepares students for gainful employment as music therapists in service to special populations across gerontology, developmental disabilities, mental health, medicine, and rehabilitation. Upon degree completion, students are eligible to sit for the national examination in music therapy administered by the CBMT. Upon passing this examination, graduates receive the credential MT-BC. It also prepares students for graduate education in music therapy. Further, as accomplished musicians and having engaged with the health sciences, students completing this degree may also pursue graduate study in related disciplines.
Program Admission Requirements
- Submit an FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- Limited Access: Submit a Bower School of Music and the Arts Supplemental Application by June 1 for fall admission and November 1 for spring admission.
- A Performance Audition, Theory Placement Exam and Interview must be completed for acceptance consideration into the Music Therapy Limited Access Program.
- Attend an orientation session.
- Sign an Advising Agreement document.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete the following:
- Enroll in a large ensemble (1 credit) every semester they are enrolled in an applied lesson.
- A minimum of 127 credits.
- A minimum of 48 must be at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfaction of College-Level Skills requirement.
- Satisfaction of the foreign language entrance requirement.
- Satisfaction of the Service Learning requirement. (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Completion of the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Of the last 72 hours, a minimum of 33 hours must be at FGCU, including 12 credit hours in the major.
- Submit an online Application for Graduation via Gulfline by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program(https://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C or S is required for each course.
FGCU Course: MUT 1111 Music Theory I (3)
Acceptable Substitute: MUT X111 or MUT X121
FGCU Course: MUT 1112 Music Theory II (3)
Acceptable Substitute: MUT X112 or MUT X122
FGCU Course: MUT 2116 Music Theory III (3)
Acceptable Substitute: MUT X116 or MUT X126
FGCU Course: MUT 2117 Music Theory IV (3)
Acceptable Substitute: MUT X117 or MUT X127
FGCU Courses: MUT 1241 Aural Skills (1) and MUT 1242 Aural Skills II (1) and MUT 2246 Aural Skills III (1) and MUT 2247 Aural Skills IV (1)
Acceptable Substitutes: (MUT X241 and MUT X242 and MUT X246 and MUT X247) or (MUT X221 and MUT X222 and MUT X226 and MUTX227) or (MUT X271 and MUT X272 and MUT X276 and MUT X277)
FGCU Course: Secondary Piano-Proficiency by Examination
Acceptable Substitute: (MVKX111 and MVKX112 and MVKX121 and MVKX122)
FGCU Course: MUN XXXX Ensemble (1 credit for 4 semesters) (4)
Acceptable substitute: MUN XXXX
FGCU Course: MVX XX1X Applied Music (2 credit for 2 semesters) (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MVX XX1X
FGCU Course: MVX XX2X Applied Music (2 credit for 2 semesters) (4)
Acceptable Substitute: MVX XX2X
- Required Courses in the Major (54 credits)
A minimum grade of C or S is required for each course.
MUG 3104 Introduction to Conducting (2)
MUH 3211 Survey of Music History I (3)
MUH 3212 Survey of Music History II (3)
MUN 3000-4999 Ensemble (2) 1 credit for two semesters; prior approval required
MUN 3000-4999 Ensemble (1 semester for 0 credit)(0)
MUS 1010 Recital Attendance, (0) six semesters
MUS 1360 Intro to Music Technology (1)
MUS 3953 Junior Recital (0)
MUY 4934 Senior Capstone in Mus Therapy (3)
MUY 1000 Introduction to Music Therapy (3)
MUY 2103 Music Foundations (3)
MUY 2203 Orientation to Practice (3)
MUY 3101 Music Therapy Competencies (3)
MUY 3503 Clinical Foundations (3)
MUY 3942 Music Therapy Practicum I (2)
MUY 3943 Music Therapy Practicum II (2)
MUY 4102 Music Therapy Competencies II (3)
MUY 4940 Music Therapy Internship (9)
MUY 4941 Music Therapy Practicum III (2)
MVS 1116 Class Guitar (1)
MVV 1110 Class Voice (2)
MVB, MVK, MVP, MVS, MVV, or MVW 3000-3999 Junior Applied Music (4) 2 credits for two semesters; prior approval required.
- Restricted Electives (9 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required for each course.
Select 9 credits from the following with a minimum of 6 credits at the 3000-4999 level:
BSC 1020C Human Systems (3)
CCJ 1020 Introduction to Criminal Justice (3)
CCJ 1080 Intro to Forensic Studies (3)
CLP 3140 Basic Psychopathy (3) (PR: PSY 2012)
DEP 2004 Principles of Development (3) (PR: PSY 2012)
EDF 2085 Intro to Diversity for Educ (3)
EEX 4201 Young Children with Sp. Needs (3)
GEY 3601 Aging and Human Performance (3) (PR: GEY 3001)
HSC 3208 Health Education Foundations (3)
HSC 3537 Medical Terminology (3)
HSC 3624 Global Health Systems & Issues (3)
HSC 3661C Dynamics of Communication (3)
HSC 4150 Impacts of Substance Abuse (3)
HSC 4555 Disease, Impairment and Function (3)
PCB 2336 Human Genetics (3)
PSY 2012 General Psychology (3)
SOW 2130 Diversity Consciousness (3)
SPC 3210 Theories of Human Communication (3)
SPC 3331 Nonverbal Communications (3)
SYG 2000 Introduction to Sociology (3)
SYG 2010 Social Problems (3)
SYG 2220 Intro to Gender Studies (3)
SYG 2250 Multicultural Issues (3)
Note: A minimum of 48 hours at the upper division (3000-4999) must be taken for the degree. Students who do not have prior upper division coursework may need to select upper division courses to satisfy this requirement.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree.
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 127-132
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 4/8/2020.