The B.A. in Elementary Education is designed to prepare students for teaching in Florida's elementary schools and for certification by the Florida Department of Education as elementary school teachers (K through grade six). The program of study includes coursework and extensive experience in elementary school settings throughout the FGCU five-county service area (Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, and Lee) to enable students to integrate theory with teaching practice.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a COE major. In order to transition from a COE pre-major to a major, students must complete the following:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
Students must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Level I Internship.
Students must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Level II Internship.
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete:
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C is required in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses (54 credits)
EDE 4940 Internship: Elementary Ed (9)
EDE 4942 Integrated Field Exp; Elem. Ed (3)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4112 Child Growth and Development (3)
EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
EDG 3323 Professional Teaching Practice (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEX 4070 Integrat Except Stud in Gen Ed (3)
MAE 4310 Math Content & Processes (3)
RED 4310 Early Literacy Learning (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content and Processes (3)
SCE 4310 Science Methods (3)
SSE 4343 Social Sciences and Humanities (3)
TSL 3080 Foundations of ESOL (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur, & Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
Restricted Electives (3 credits)
EEC 3268 Play Development & Assessment (3)
EEC 4307 Cognitive Exp for Yng Children (3)
LAE 4416 Children’s Literature (3)
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 4/8/2020.