The BS in Biology - Accelerated program offers an exciting opportunity to FGCU students who desire a career in medicine or pharmacy or dentistry. Through an agreement with Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM), FGCU offers students three medical education program options. Students in the DO and PharmD programs fulfill requirements as set forth by FGCU for their first three years (90 credit hours) of coursework. If progression requirements are maintained, students are eligible for admission to Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine. Upon successful completion of the first year of the LECOM osteopathic medicine or pharmacy curriculums, 30 credits are awarded by FGCU for completion and conferral of the B.S. in Biology. Students then continue with their medical education at LECOM. In addition, we have an early acceptance program agreement with LECOM for Dental School to earn your DMD, Doctor of Dental Medicine. Students earn a BS Biology degree at FGCU and have early acceptance into the LECOM School of Dentistry.
Program Admission Requirements
No new students are being admitted at this time.
Applicants to the FGCU/LECOM Medical Education Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Doctor of Pharmacy Program must:
- Submit an FGCU Undergraduate Admission Application and satisfy all applicable university admission requirements.
- May be high school senior or FGCU enrolled first year student.
- Document US citizenship or permanent resident status.
- Document achievement of an SAT score of 1170 (combined critical reading and math scores only) or ACT of 26 or greater.
- Document achievement of high school GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- FGCU cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher and science GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Complete LECOM Early Acceptance Application by the deadlines posted on the FGCU Undergraduate Admissions website.
- Attend an interview.
- Attend a CAS orientation session and sign an Advising Agreement document when transitioning from First Year Advising to CAS Advising during the spring semester of freshman year.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
For timely degree completion, students must complete all program milestones. The following actions occur when milestone are missed: first occurrence—advising hold and counseling regarding progression requirements; second occurrence—counseling and change to a major outside of the Department of Biology or Department of Chemistry and Physics that is more appropriate to student goals and academic performance. Appeals are handled through the relevant department. The decision of the appeal committee is final. Program milestones include the following:
- BSC 1010C or BSC 1011/1011L minimum grade of C completed one calendar year from admission as FTIC or 30 credits earned, whichever is earlier.
- BSC 1010C and BSC 1011/1011L minimum grade of C completed by end of fourth semester (including summers) from admission as FTIC or 45 credits earned, whichever is earlier.
- PCB 3023C, PCB 3043C or PCB 3063C minimum grade of C completed by end of sixth semester (including summers) from admission as FTIC or 60 credits earned, whichever is earlier.
Transfer students may declare the major after they have completed BSC 1010C, BSC 1011, and BSC 1011L with grades of C or better in each course. Transfer students must complete PCB 3023C, PCB 3043C or PCB 3063C with a grade of C or better within three semesters (including summer) of declaring the major.
- In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Complete a minimum of 48 of the 120 credits at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy the College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy the Service Learning requirement. (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Satisfy the residency requirement: thirty of the last sixty credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Complete the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an Application for Graduation by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
- Satisfy Civic Literacy Requirement.
FGCU General Education Program (https://www2.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
For this major, common prerequisite courses with an asterisk (*) require prior knowledge and skills demonstrated through degree acceleration programs (e.g., the College Board's Advanced Placement Program [AP], International Baccalaureate Program [IB], College-Level Examination Program [CLEP], Advanced International Certificate of Education Program [AICE]); dual enrollment; placement exam; or college coursework.
FGCU Course: BSC 1010C Gen’l Biology w/Lab I (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (BSCX010 and BSCX010L) or BSCX010C or (BSCX040 and BSCX040L)
FGCU Course: BSC 1011 General Biology II (3) and BSC 1011L General Biology II Laboratory (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (BSCX011 and BSCX011L) or BSCX011C or (BSCX041 and BSCX041L)
FGCU Course: *CHM 1045 General Chemistry I (3) and CHM 1045L General Chemistry I Lab (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (CHMX045 and CHMX045L) or CHM045C or (CHMX040 and CHMX041)
[Prerequisites of MAT 1033 minimum grade of C then MAC 1105 minimum grade of C; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
FGCU Course: CHM 1046 General Chemistry II (3) and CHM 1046L General Chemistry II Lab (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (CHMX046 and CHMX046L) or CHMX046C
FGCU Course: CHM 2210 Organic Chemistry I (3) and CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I Laboratory (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (CHMX210 and CHMX210L) or CHMX210C or (PHYX053 and PHYX053L) or (PHYX048 and PHYX048L)
FGCU Course: CHM 2211 Organic Chemistry II (3) and CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II Laboratory (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (CHMX211 and CHMX211L) or CHMX211C or (PHYX054 and PHYX054L) or (PHYX049 and PHYX049L)
FGCU Course: *MAC 2311 Calculus I (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: MACX311 or MACX233 or MACX253 or MACX281 or MACX241
[Prerequisites of MAT 1033 minimum grade of C then MAC 1105 minimum grade of C then MAC 1147 minimum grade of C; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
FGCU Course: MAC 2312 Calculus II (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: MACX312 or MACX282 or MACX234 or STAX023 or STAX024 or STAX321
- Required Courses in the Major (57 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
BCH 3023C Biochemistry (3)
BSC 1930L Seminar in Medicine I (1)*
BSC 4910C Senior Project I: Research (2)
BSC 4911 Sr Project II: Presentation (1)
MCB 3020C General Microbiology (4)
PCB 3063C Genetics (4)
PCB 3703C Human Physiology (4)
PHY 2048C General Physics w/Lab I or PHY 2053C College Physics w/Lab I (4)**
PHY 2049C Gen'l Physics w/Lab II or PHY 2054C College Physics w/Lab II (4)**
Plus satisfactory completion of the first year of pharmacy school at LECOM, Bradenton
*BSC 2930L and BSC 3930L are strongly recommended as electives.
**If PHY 2048C and PHY 2049C or PHY 2053C and PHY 2054C were completed as common prerequisites, CHM 2210C and CHM 2211C must be taken to fulfill the core requirements; conversely, if CHM 2210C and CHM 2211C were taken to fulfill common prerequisites, PHY 2048C and PHY 2049C or PHY 2053C and PHY 2054C must be completed.
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
- Additional Electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 4/5/2020.