The B.A. in Secondary Social Science Education is designed to prepare students to teach mathematics in Florida in grades 6-12. The program of study includes course work in the social sciences as well as education, with extensive field experiences in secondary school settings in the FGCU five-county service area (Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, and Lee) to enable students to integrate learning theory with teaching practice.
Progression and Additional Graduation Requirements
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a COE major. In order to transition from a COE pre-major to a major, students must complete the following:
- An overall GPA of 2.5 on all hours attempted.
- Pass all subsections of the FTCE General Knowledge Test. No exemptions can be considered.
- Satisfy all General Education requirements.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills requirements.
- Satisfy common prerequisite requirements.
- Successfully complete a background check.
- Obtain liability insurance for field experiences in the PreK-12 schools.
Students must have passed the FTCE Subject Area Exam prior to beginning Level I Internship.
Students must complete all coursework and have passed the FTCE Professional Education Exam prior to beginning Level II Internship.
In addition to the program requirements, students must complete:
- Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE), including the subject area examination and the Professional Education examination.
- A minimum of 48 upper division credits (courses numbered 3000 and higher).
- Complete 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy College-Level skills and foreign language admission requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. www.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
A minimum grade of C is required in each course
FGCU Course: EDF 2005 Intro to Teach Prof (3)
Acceptable Substitute: EDFX005
FGCU Course: AMH 2010 US History to 1877 (3)
Acceptable Substitute: AMHX010
FGCU Course: AMH 2020 US History Since 1877 (3)
Acceptable Substitute: AMHX020
FGCU Course: POS 2041 American Nat’l Government (3)
Acceptable Substitute: POSX041
FGCU Course: Any course with the prefix ANT, ECO, GEA, PSY, SYG
Acceptable Substitute: ANTXXXX or ECOXXXX or GEAXXXX or PSYXXXX or SYGXXXX
- Courses in the Major
A minimum grade of C in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 is required.
Required Courses (45 credits)
EDF 3132 Adolescent Growth & Dev (3)
EDF 3253 Learning Mgmt Inclusive Class (3)
EDF 4470 Classroom Assessment (3)
EDG 4937 Sr Seminar-Initial Teach Prep (3)
EEX 4070 Integrat Except Stud in Gen Ed (3)
RED 4350 Literacy Content & Processes (3)
SSE 4153 Social Science Methods 6-12 (3)
SSE 4940 Internship in Soc. Science Ed (9)
SSE 4941 Integr Field Exper:Soc Science (3)
TSL 4340 Methods, Cur, and Instr Effect (3)
TSL 4520 Sec Lang Acquis Comm& Culture (3)
WOH 1030 World Civilization since 1815 (3)
GEA 2000 Intro to Geography (3)
Restricted Electives (12 credits)
Select from the following with approval of the college academic advisor:
Upper level courses (3000-4999) from the social sciences disciplines (prefixes of AMH, ANT, ECO, HIS, POS, PSY, SOP, SYD, SYG, SYO, and SYP).
- University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 4/5/2020.