The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Exercise Science program curriculum focuses on health, wellness, and maximizing the performance of athletes, fitness-oriented persons, and special populations such as children and older adults. Students learn how the body responds to activity and exercise throughout the lifespan. Students also learn how the body can attain a higher level of wellness and/or increase performance capabilities.
The Exercise Science program prepares graduates for entry level careers that deal with the enhancement of individual health and/or performance capabilities. Graduates are also provided with the background necessary for advanced study in exercise science or other health-related disciplines including athletic training, physician assistants, physical therapy, occupational therapy, medicine, sports nutrition, and sports psychology.
Exercise Science graduates will sit for either the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) or the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) certification exam. For successfully meeting established criteria, the National Strength and Conditioning Association officially recognizes Florida Gulf Coast University's Educational Program in Strength and Conditioning. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recognizes FGCU campus at the Gold level status for Exercise is Medicine (EIM).
- Complete an Exercise Science program portfolio, which includes the following:
- Responses to Section 2 and Section 3 on the Exercise Science portfolio development guidelines
- Submit the following materials:
- Exercise Science Technical Standards Signature form (signed by physician)
- Physical Exam Form (signed by physician)
- Program Prerequisite Reporting Sheet
- Establish a CastleBranch account and create a Compliance tracker (submission of required immunizations and health insurance)
- Complete BSC 1010C with a minimum grade of "B-" (B minus) by the end of Semester 1.
- Complete PSY 2012 and MAC 1105 with a minimum grade of "C" by the end of Semester 1.
- Complete BSC 1085C with a minimum grade of "B-" (B minus) by the end of Semester 2.
- Complete MAC 1147 with a minimum grade of "C" by the end of Semester 2.
- Complete BSC 1086C with a minimum grade of "B-" (B minus) by the end of Semester 3.
- Complete CHM 1046 & CHM 1046L, BSC 1011, BSC 1011L & HSC 2577 with a minimum grade of "C" by the end of Semester 3.
- Complete all other required lower division requirements (general education, CLWS, INKN, Civic Literacy and earning 60 credit hours) with a minimum grade of "C" by the end of the summer term immediately following Semester 4.
- Students must have an institutional GPA (or cumulative GPA in Gulfline, includes FGCU credits and grades) of 2.5 or higher by the end of Semester 4.
- Students must follow a pre-approved Program of Study approved by the student's faculty advisor.
- A student must perform at the appropriate level of generic abilities and criteria as outlined in the Professional Behaviors Plan.
- For Experiential Learning I & II, the Exercise Science program will attempt to place students at an approved site. In some situations students will need to secure their own pre-approved placement which must meet the Exercise Science program's requirements for community site education. Please see the Exercise Science program website for additional criteria on Experiential Learning.
For timely degree completion, students must complete appropriate milestones. Failure to meet milestone requirements may result in required major reselection. Refer to the program website or Student Guidebook for further information on milestones and progression standards.
In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Complete at least 48 of the 120 credits in the upper division (3000 and higher).
- Earn at least 30 of the last 60 credits at FGCU.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Complete all Required Courses in the Major with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Earn a minimum grade of C for all Exercise Science major courses.
- Satisfy College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy Service Learning requirement. See https://www2.fgcu.edu/connect/
- Perform at Entry Level in all criteria of the Professional Behaviors Plan.
- Apply for graduation per university guidelines and timeline.
- Meet all FGCU requirements for graduation.
- Adhere to requirements as stated in the Exercise Science Student Guidebook.
- Satisfy Civic Literacy requirement.