Program Progression And Additional Graduation Requirements
For timely degree completion, students must complete all program milestones. The following actions occur when milestone are missed: first occurrence—warning and advising hold; second occurrence—advising hold and counseling regarding progression requirements; and third occurrence—counseling and change to a major outside of the Department of Chemistry and Physics or Department of Biology that is more appropriate to student goals and academic performance. Appeals are handled through the relevant department. The decision of the appeal committee is final. Program milestones include the following:
- CHM 1045/L (or CHM 1045C) minimum grade of C completed one calendar year from admission as FTIC or 30 credits earned, whichever is earlier.
- CHM 1046/L (or CHM 1046C) minimum grade of C completed by end of fifth semester (including summers) from admission as FTIC or 60 credits earned, whichever is earlier.
- CHM 2210/L (or CHM 2210C) minimum grade of C completed by end of seventh semester (including summers) from admission as FTIC or 75 credits earned, whichever is earlier.
- CHM 2211/L (or CHM 2211C) minimum grade of C completed by end of eighth semester (including summers) from admission as FTIC or 90 credits earned, whichever is earlier.
- CHM 3120/L (or CHM 3120C) minimum grade of C completed by end of eighth semester (including summers) from admission as FTIC or 90 credits earned, whichever is earlier.
Transfer students may declare the major after they have completed CHM 1045/L, CHM 1046/L, and CHM 2210/L with grades of C or better in each course. CHM 2211/L and CHM 3120/L must be completed with a grade of C or better within three semesters (including summer) of declaring the major.
- In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- Complete a minimum of 48 of the 120 credits at the upper division (3000 - 4999) level.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy the College-Level Skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy the Service Learning requirement. (See www.fgcu.edu/connect).
- Satisfy the residency requirement: thirty of the last sixty credits must be completed at FGCU.
- Complete the summer course enrollment requirement.
- Submit an Application for Graduation by the deadline listed in the FGCU Academic Calendar.
- FGCU General Education Program (https://www2.fgcu.edu/general_education/)
To prevent or minimize excess hours, select general education courses that satisfy common prerequisite requirements for your intended major.
- Common Prerequisites
For this major, common prerequisite courses with an asterisk (*) require prior knowledge and skills demonstrated through degree acceleration programs (e.g., the College Board's Advanced Placement Program [AP], International Baccalaureate Program [IB], College-Level Examination Program [CLEP], Advanced International Certificate of Education Program [AICE]); dual enrollment; placement exam; or college coursework.
FGCU Course: BSC 1010C General Biology I w/lab (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (BSCX010 and BSCX010L) or BSCX010C or (BSCX040 and BSCX040L) or BSCX040C
FGCU Course: BSC 1011 General Biology II (3) and BSC 1011L General Biology II Laboratory (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (BSCX011 and BSCX011L) or BSCX011C or (BSCX041 and BSCX041L)
FGCU Course: *CHM 1045 General Chemistry I (3) and CHM 1045L General Chemistry I Lab (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (CHMX045 and CHMX045L) or CHMX045C or (CHMX040 and CHMX041)
[Prerequisites of MAT 1033 minimum grade of C then MAC 1105 minimum grade of C; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
FGCU Course: CHM 1046 General Chemistry II (3) and CHM 1046L General Chemistry II Lab (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (CHMX046 and CHMX046L) or CHMX046C
FGCU Course: CHM 2210 Organic Chemistry I (3) and CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I Laboratory (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (CHMX210 and CHMX210L) or (PHYX048 and PHYX048L) or (PHYX053 and PHYX053L)
FGCU Course: CHM 2211 Organic Chemistry II (3) and CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II Laboratory (1) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: (CHMX211 and CHMX211L) or (PHYX049 and PHYX049L) or (PHYX054 and PHYX054L)
FGCU Course: *MAC 2311 Calculus I (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: MACX311 or MACX233 or MACX253 or MACX281
[Prerequisites of MAT 1033 minimum grade of C then MAC 1105 minimum grade of C then MAC 1147 minimum grade of C; or relevant accelerated credit; or placement exam]
FGCU Course: MAC 2312 Calculus II (4) Minimum grade of C
Acceptable Substitute: MACX312
- Required Courses in the Major (38 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
BCH 4033C Advanced Biochemistry I (4)
BCH 4034C Advanced Biochemistry II (4)
CHM 3120 Analytical Chemistry (3)
CHM 3120L Analytical Chemistry Laboratory (1)
CHM 3400 Principles of Phys. Chem.(3)
CHM 3400L Principles of Phys. Chem. Laboratory (1)
CHM 3610 Inorganic Chemistry (3)
CHM 3610L Inorganic Chemistry Lab (1)
CHM 4130 Instrumental Analysis (3)
CHM 4130L Instrumental Analysis Lab (1)
CHM 4931 Senior Capstone in Chemistry (3)
CHM 4932 Chemistry Senior Seminar (3)
PHY 2048C General Physics w/lab I (4) or PHY 2053C College Physics I w/lab (4)
PHY 2049C General Physics w/lab II (4) or PHY 2054C College Physics II w/lab (4)
*If PHY 2048C and PHY 2049C or PHY 2053C and PHY 2054C were completed as common prerequisites, CHM 2210C and CHM 2211C must be taken to fulfill the required courses in the major; conversely, if CHM 2210C and CHM 2211C were taken to fulfill common prerequisites, PHY 2048C and PHY 2049C or PHY 2053C and PHY 2054C must be completed.
- Restricted Electives in the Major (19 credits)
A minimum grade of C is required in each course.
Chemistry electives (13 credits)
BCH 3025C Analytical Biochemistry (3)
CHM 3940 Internship in Chemistry (0-4)*
CHM 4080C Adv Environmental Chemistry (3)
CHM 4174C Lasers in Physical Sciences (3)
CHM 4220C Advanced Organic Chemistry (3)
CHM 4230C Practical NMR Spectroscopy (3)
CHM 4300 Bio-Organic Chemistry (3)
CHM 4431 Statistical Thermodynamics (3)
CHM 4512 Computational Modeling (3)
CHM 4671 Bioinorganic Chemistry (3)
CHM 4714C Materials Chemistry (3)
CHM 4905 Dir Ind Study/Res in Chem (2-4)*
CHM 4910C Senior Project in Chemistry (2)*
CHM 4912C Senior Thesis/Pres. Chemistry (2)*
CHM 4930 Special Topics in Chemistry (3)
CHS 4533C Forensic Biochemistry (3)
CHS 4544C Forensic Chemistry (3)
ISC 3120C Scientific Process (3)
*A maximum number of 4 credits combined from these courses can be used to fulfill the elective requirement.
Biology electives (6 credits)
BSC 4422C Methods in Biotechnology (3)
MCB 3020C General Microbiology (4)
PCB 3023C Cell Biology (4)
PCB 3063C Genetics (4)
PCB 4233C Immunology (3)
PCB 4522C Molecular Genetics (3)
University Requirements (3 credits)
IDS 3920 University Colloquium (3)
Additional electives - as needed to reach total credits required for the degree
TOTAL CREDITS REQUIRED: 120
The information contained in this catalog excerpt is intended for informational purposes only. Every effort is made to provide this information as accurately as possible at the time of publication; however, the university reserves the right to revise any section or part without notice or obligation. Printed on: 12/13/2017.