The B.S. in Accounting prepares students for careers in government, industry, public accounting, and service organizations. The faculty are committed to preparing graduates who are technically competent and possess the full range of business professional skills. Students are required to use a variety of technologies in assignments. Course projects are designed to enhance critical thinking, oral and written communications, teamwork, and foster awareness of diversity, ethics, and global issues.
Degree-seeking students are classified as pre-majors prior to formal transition into a LCOB major. As pre-majors, students may enroll in lower level (1000-2999) courses to satisfy general education and common prerequisite requirements; lower level electives; and business common core courses, except GEB 4890, if course prerequisites are met. Pre-majors may not enroll in upper level (3000-4999) courses for the major.
Transition from a LCOB pre-major to a major happens following (a) completion of all common prerequisites with a minimum grade of C or higher in each course; and (b) completion of 50 earned hours of courses with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
For timely degree completion, FTIC (First Time in College) students are expected to complete the following:
- MAC 1105 with minimum grade of B (or relevant accelerated credit or placement exam), ECO 2023 or ECO 2013 with minimum grade of C, one additional common prerequisite, and an overall 2.4 FGCU GPA within one calendar year from admission
- Four common prerequisites by the end of the third semester (excluding summer) from admission
- Seven common prerequisites and an overall 2.7 FGCU GPA by the end of the fourth semester (excluding summer) from admission
- ACG 3103 with minimum grade of C by the end of the fifth semester (excluding summer) from admission
- FIN 3403 with minimum grade of C by the end of the sixth semester (excluding summer) from admission
For timely degree completion, transfer students are expected to complete the following:
- Seven common prerequisites and an overall 2.7 FGCU GPA by the end of the third semester (excluding summer) from admission
- ACG 3103 with minimum grade of C by the end of the fourth semester (excluding summer) from admission
- FIN 3403 with minimum grade of C by the end of the fifth semester (excluding summer) from admission
Students should refer to the Curriculum Map for milestone information. Curriculum maps for each major can be found at https://www2.fgcu.edu/cob/.
In addition to the program requirements, students must:
- Attempt ACG 3103 no more than two times.
- Earn a grade of B or higher in ACG 2021, ACG 2071, and CGS 1100 in order to enroll in certain upper division accounting courses.
- Earn a grade of C or higher in the common prerequisites, business common core, required courses in the major, and restricted electives.
- Complete a minimum of 120 credits with at least 48 hours at the upper division (3-4000 level).
- Complete the last 30 credits of business courses at FGCU.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credits of courses in the major at FGCU.
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for all coursework attempted at FGCU.
- Satisfy college-level skills and foreign language entrance requirements.
- Satisfy service learning requirement. See www.fgcu.edu/connect/ .
- Complete the standardized business knowledge assessment exam administered during the last semester in GEB 4890 Business Strategy.