Section 508 Website Accessibility

Skip to site navigation Skip to main content
Skip to main content
College of Education

College of Education

Certification 3


I have at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.

Florida offers a way for people who do not have education or experience in teaching to become certified teachers. Although it is not the best route to becoming an excellent teacher, it is preferable for some people. The College of Education at Florida Gulf Coast University offers several options for people choosing this route. Before we discuss those options, there are several things you need to do.

The first thing you need to do is decide what you want to teach. Go to to learn more about what subjects and grade levels are available in Florida.

Once that is done, you can begin the process toward a temporary certificate by going to

After the Department of Education has received and evaluated your completed application, you will receive an Official Statement of Status of Eligibility. This tells you what more you need to do to get a Professional Certificate and it allows you to be hired by a school district. Once you are hired, you will need to submit fingerprints for a background check. After your fingerprints have been cleared, you will receive a Temporary Teaching Certificate that is valid for three years.

The Official Statement of Status of Eligibility is critical to what you decide to do next. Even if you don’t get hired right away, the statement tells you what courses and tests you will need. For information on testing go to The College of Education offers core courses specifically designed for non-education majors who already have a bachelor’s degree or higher. All of these courses are at the graduate level. Click here for more information on the course by course route.

Another route available to you is the Educator Preparation Institute (called TIP at Florida Gulf Coast University). This is a Florida state approved program and leads directly to a five year, renewable Professional Teaching Certificate. For more information on TIP, please visit the TIP website.

Finally, you may consider a graduate degree in education. For more information on what we offer, go to and look under graduate programs.