Study Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid
Funding Your Study Abroad Experience
Studying abroad is an amazing opportunity that leads to truly life changing experiences. However, the costs associated can seem daunting at first. FGCU is committed to providing its students with the tools and resources necessary to offset the cost of an international experience. On this page, you will find multiple ways to fund your experience abroad.
Funding from FGCU/Financial Aid
- FGCU Financial Aid
- Students interested in using Federal Financial Aid should contact the FGCU Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. Please ask to speak with Barbara Font regarding financial aid for study abroad purposes
- Generally, financial aid will more likely apply to study abroad for semester and year-long programs. Summer is generally more limited when it comes to applying financial aid.
- If you intend to use Pell grants or loans to cover the costs of a program provider or host instution overseas you will need to complete a Study Abroad Consortium Agreement Form and submit it to Barbara Font in the FGCU Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.
- FGCU Foundation Scholarships for FGCU Faculty Led Study Abroad programs
- Needs-based scholarships available through the FGCU Foundation.
- Please contact the Study Abroad Office for more details.
- Saint Andrew's Society of SW Florida
- Up to $6000 in scholarships available for FGCU Students studying abroad in Scotland
Outside Scholarships for Study Abroad
- For Pell Grant recipients interested in studying or interning abroad
- Up to $5,000 a semester
- Minimum program length 4 weeks
Boren Undergraduate Scholarship
- For students interested in studying in non-popular countries
- For students interested in studying new uncommon languages
- Up to $20,000
- For recent graduates and graduate students
- Provides funding for one year studying, researching, or teaching abroad
- For American students to study at the graduate level in the United Kingdom
- Up to two years, all expenses paid study
- 3.7 GPA required
Fund for Education Abroad
- For United States citizens or permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level
- Minimum program length 4 weeks
- Awards up to $10,000
Program Provider Scholarships
- International Studies Abroad (ISA)
- ISA offers an automatic $200 discount for FGCU Students participating in ISA programs.
- FGCU students are also eligible for scholarships that ISA offers personally, and through host universities.
- Academic Programs International (API)
- API offers a wide range of scholarships, up to $1000 per student participating in an API program.
- There are scholarships for all applicants, for STEM students, for first generation students, and host institution specific scholarships.
- Knowledge Exchange International (KEI)
- KEI offers FGCU students an automatic $1000 grant for semester/year long programs, and a $200 grant for summer programs.
- FGCU students are also eligible for additional KEI scholarships, information available online.
- American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)
- AIFS offers FGCU students an automatic $400 grant for semester programs and a $200 grant for summer programs.
- FGCU students are also eligible for additional AIFS scholarships, information available online.
- CAPA - The Global Education Network
- CAPA offers FGCU students an automatic $600 grant for semester programs and a $300 grant for summer programs.
- FGCU students are also eligible for additional CAPA scholarships, information available online.
- Center for Intenational Studies (CIS)
- CIS scholarships are available to students who will blog while traveling, by journal, photos, or video.
- CIS offers $100 off programs when signing up early (Early Bird Grant).
- CIS also offers grants for students who recruit other students, and to returning students.
- Council on International Educational Exchange
- Ambassador grants, access grants, and academic excellence scholarships available online.
- International Internships
- International Internships offers FGCU students an automatic $200 discount on internship programs.
- There is a $40 discount for FGCU students on the application fee
- International Internships offers additional scholarships from $100 to $500, information available online.
Specific Outside Scholarships
More outside scholarships are available and information will be added to this site soon!
Study Abroad Loans
Student Money-Saving Resources