Office of Vice President and
Chief of Staff
Florida Gulf Coast University
10501 FGCU Blvd S.
Fort Myers, FL. 33965-6565
Phone: (239) 590-1006
Fax: (239) 590-1066
Seminar Focuses On Preparing Businesses for Disaster; Information Technology Experts Show How to Do It
FORT MYERS, FL - Preparing for events that can interrupt computer and communications capabilities will be the topic of discussion for area businesses with five information technology experts during a seminar hosted by the Florida Gulf Coast University Center for Leadership and Innovation from 8 a.m. to noon, Friday, May 3, at the FGCU Naples Center.
“What better time to hold this event than on the eve of Southwest Florida’s hurricane season?” seminar moderator and president of CRS Technology, Carol Conway, said. “We hope that many businesses will take advantage of this opportunity to learn how to protect their company’s information technology resources against natural, intentional and accidental disruption. This seminar is designed to give businesses of all sizes a chance to learn ways to prevent bigger disasters and how to shorten the recovery time should disaster strike.”
The seminar spotlights three key areas: understanding natural, intentional and accidental interruptions; developing an information technology recovery plan; and analyzing the exposure, risk and affect on business.
Case studies give attendees the opportunity to participate in real-world problem solving. The event features multimedia presentations and question-and-answer periods.
Each panelist brings extensive industry background to the seminar:
· CRS Technology provides PC and network support for companies in Collier and Lee counties. Conway’s company has numerous awards, including the 1998 Small Business Person of the Year for the State of Florida by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
· Karl Hamlin is an information technology (IT) professional with 35 years experience. He presents methodology to develop an IT recovery plan. Hamlin’s experience includes developing IT recovery plans as a corporate executive and consultant for Alcoa, Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Prudential.
· Neil Hediger is president and CEO of Proactivus Technology. He focuses on measures to avoid total business disruption, specifically in telecommunications. An experienced IT senior manager, he has worked with MCI WorldCom, Dean Witter Reynolds and AT&T.
· Dan Regelski is director of the FGCU Small Business Development Center and joins Conway as moderator. Regelski holds a master’s degree in business administration and has experience in business planning and strategy.
· Douglas S. Steele is director of the FGCU Center for Leadership and Innovation. He presents case studies and real-world examples. Steele holds a master’s degree in electrical engineering and has experience with General Electric.
The event is free and sponsored by naplesnews.com, the web site of the Naples Daily News. The FGCU Naples Center is located in the Heart Fax Building at 1010 Fifth Ave. S.
For more information or to register, contact CRS Technology at (941) 643-1888 or online at www.crsonline.net.